T W O

"𝑫𝒐𝒏'𝒕 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒉𝒂𝒕𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒐𝒔𝒆 𝒑𝒓𝒆𝒕𝒆𝒏𝒕𝒊𝒐𝒖𝒔 𝒇𝒖𝒄𝒌𝒆𝒓𝒔?"

Satori didn't really want to be here for the stupid ball. Sure, he enjoyed dancing and drinking and fooling around but at the cost of being surrounded by pretentious nobles who still sneer at him despite the fact he could buy their entire estates and leave them destitute.

He was rather... unconventional in comparison to the other people of noble blood. He found them stuffy and unbearable. Perhaps that was why he naturally gravitated to the crown prince.

They had been friends since a young age. Wakatoshi didn't enjoy spending time with the other noble children. They were constantly sucking up to him but he heard the gossip when they thought he wasn't listening. His aloof and quiet nature made others think he was daft. He was far from it. He simply didn't want to talk to them. At least until he met Satori. They could remember their first interaction like it was yesterday. They were fourteen.

"Why, how are you doing, your grace?" The young red-haired boy bowed low while maintaining eye contact. There was a teasing grin on his face. It was as if he was mocking the future ruler of his kingdom.

"Hello, who are you?"

"Satori Tendou, your graciousness. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance." Since the young royal was speaking to Satori, the other noble teens avoided them. Their whispers and glares carried through the court field.

"Who does he think he is, mocking Prince Ushijima like that?"

"Well, it's not as if the prince will even realize what is happening. He's stupid to even string together a long sentence."

Satori sighed deeply. The young lord shook his head. 

"Don't you hate those pretentious fuckers?" Wakatoshi started at his words as shocked briefly filled his features before he nodded, a small smile graced his lips. They had been friends ever since.

Now, at age 23, they spent as much time as possible together before Wakatoshi was crowned king and would become too busy for their hangouts. Satori had left the palace for a while to deal with matters regarding his own estate and property. He had become even richer. Even at his young age, he was gifted in acquiring money through business.

"How are you doing today, your divinity?" The exaggerated nicknames stuck through the years they had known each other. Wakatoshi sighed deeply at the sight of his best friend.

"You need to stop with these names,"

"Is that an order, Toshi?" Satori laughed before sitting across from him in Wakatoshi's private library.

"If there was anything I was going to order, it would be for you to stop this stupid ball. I don't understand why I couldn't be announced as the king without a bride," The prince sighed deeply again.

"You know your dad. 'a king is nothing without his queen' or whatever. Bullshit, if you ask me."

"No one asked you, now did they Satori?" The young men turned their heads at the new voice and were met with King Ushijima, a small smile on his face.

"Your absolute divinity! How are you, old man?" Satori stood to greet the king. He saw him as his own father and the king saw him as his second son.

"I could behead you for calling me that."

"And risk losing your favourite lord? No way." The old man pulled Satori in for a brief embrace before sitting beside his son. 

"I am right, by the way. The ball will commence and you both will attend and behave. Satori, I am looking at you. Wakatoshi, you will not sneak away to go train. You will both be in attendance for the entire night and you will both find suitable brides." Both Wakatoshi and Satori let out groans.

"Why do I have to be a part of this? I'm not the one becoming king."

"If I abdicate the throne to Satori, do I still have to go?" They both asked at the same time.

"You need a lady and I imagine you will soon become the hand of the King. Find a wife. And you will not be abdicating the throne. Even if you did, you still have to go." They both groaned again. "You never know, you might meet someone wonderful. I met his mother at my ball," The king said. The three of them became sombre after that. The queen had died years ago giving birth to their second child. Unfortunately, the child didn't make it either.

"Be hopeful, you never know what you will encounter there." He gave both boys firms pats on their shoulders before standing. "Well, I must go. I have meetings I must attend. (Y/n) (L/n) requested one personally. Both of you should pay attention to her and Liliana. Those are girls that are fit for this life." He gave both of them pointed looks before leaving.

"Whatever, let's go train, Toshi."

"It's like you read my mind."