E I G H T E E N

𝑭𝒐𝒓 𝒉𝒆𝒓, 𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒔 𝒘𝒂𝒔 𝒆𝒏𝒐𝒖𝒈𝒉

𝑭𝒐𝒓 𝒉𝒆𝒓, 𝑯𝒆 𝒘𝒂𝒔 𝒆𝒏𝒐𝒖𝒈𝒉.

Outside of the ballroom, past the glass doors and the patio, Lily and Wakatoshi were in their own world. They heard the crescendo of the music and briefly saw their friends dancing with each other before they left the ballroom entirely to make their way to the gardens, just as they had done the previous night.

It was quiet between them. He kept her close to his body with an arm wrapped securely around her waist and a small smile on his face. He liked having her there and she liked the way she melded with him. She had never felt so connected to another person besides Y/n. It must have been what made her love him.

They took their time on their walk. Gazing at the flowers that they loved to look at during the day. There was something truly magical about looking at everything under the moon with the stars shining brightly. The sounds of nature were around them and they could faintly hear the music from the ballroom. They were in a world of their own.

When they arrived at the greenhouse, Lily was surprised to see the change in its setup. Before the pathways were clear for walking, now there was a small table with two chairs across from each other and a platter in the middle. It was situated near the Queen of the Night. She turned to him in confusion and he simply smiled at her sweetly before directing her to a chair and pulling it out for her, like the true gentleman that he was. 

"What is all this, Toshi?" She asked sweetly with a confused pout on her face. He wanted to kiss her again. The first time wasn't nearly enough to satiate him.

"I thought it would nice to enjoy a meal together while we wait for the blossom. These things are always more enjoyable if you have food with you. I had Satori make it earlier If you do not want any that is fine." It was truly unbelievable how sweet and considerate he was. He watched with a small smile a small as her cheeks reddened prettily and took his own seat before removing the large lid, revealing the abundant sweet fruits and pastries that he had requested his best friend make for him. Satori had teased him the entire time with his sleeves rolled past his forearms and the apron that he had borrowed (stolen) from the head cook was covered in flour. Wakatoshi would have left if he wasn't so intent on watching and ensuring that everything was perfect for his date.

The fruits he had noticed that she had taken a liking to. The ripened in the garden and he couldn't help but notice how her eyes would linger on them before moving away and letting her attention be swept up by him once again. He internally patted himself on the shoulder at how well he noticed things about her. But, of course, she was the most interesting thing in his life. He would be a fool to not notice these things about her. 

Her eyes scanned the platter in front of her with glee before looking up to meet his eye. Oh, she loved him. She truly, honestly loved him and loved just how much he cared for her. And to know that he loved her as well? It was entirely too good to be true. She would indulge, however. For the sake of the love she knew she deserved. She would indulge.

"Thank you, Toshi." Her breath was no more than a whisper as she reached across the small table and took his large hand in her two small ones. She rubbed her fingers over his knuckles, letting the unsaid words of 'I love you' be massaged into his skin. He could feel them in her warmth and the occasional feather-light scrape of her nail that made the hairs on his skin stand. He returned the words in his smile. 

Once they separated from each other, she instantly picked at the ripest, most appealing berries and held them out for him to chew. The platter was meant for her but it made him flush a bit being fed from her hand. Who was he to say no to her?

~~~~~

It was late now, the ball would be in full swing. If they were quiet enough, they could almost hear the music. They chose to speak quietly with each other instead. Almost as if raising their voices any higher would ruin the atmosphere they had set up. 

At some point during their conversation, their chairs had moved closer to each other and now Wakatoshi had an arm around her while she fiddled with the rings on his fingers. The fruit was finished and a few pastries sat on the table but they were no longer hungry for food. They let themselves be full of the presence of the other while keeping one eye out for the Queen of the Night.

Lily noticed the bloom first. She saw as the petals began to unfurl and she was instantly out of her seat and moving closer. She moved surprisingly fast in her large, layered skirts. Wakatoshi was quick to follow behind her, watching her out of the corner of his eye as her face lit up excitedly. The blooming flower didn't hold a candle to her.

It blossomed slowly but it didn't stop Lily from watching the entire with her hand gripping Wskatoshi's hand and whispering with pure glee in her voice.

"Toshi! Look! Isn't it beautiful? Have you ever seen anything so beautiful?" 

"I have, flower." He whispered back to her before bringing her hand to his lips kissing the back. She turned and smiled brightly at him before turning back to plant. The entire time she had her attention on it, his attention was on her.

Finally, the bloom finished its short appearance and it closed again all the while, Lily was still in a state of bliss. 

"Thank you for showing this to me, Wakatoshi. It was beautiful." She leaned into his side and he welcomed her eagerly.

"You are welcome, flower. I am glad you liked it so much." They were silent for a bit. One was worshipping the memory that the flower had left. The other was internally giving himself a pep talk.

"Lily, did you like the necklace I gave you?" He finally asked.

"Oh, I love it Toshi! You didn't have to get this for me, you know. I won't complain, though. It is very beautiful." 

"It is a good thing that you like it. It actually comes in a set." She looked up at him curiously before her eyes widened comically as he slid away from her and down on a knee. She had expected this. She was preparing for this all night yet her shock was real and her nervousness kicked in once again.

"Toshi, what are you-"

"Let me speak, Lily. I had prepared this message and practiced several times but now that I have to say it, I am quite nervous." She shut her mouth quickly and nodded for him to continue and he took a deep breath.

"Flower, I have loved you since I first saw you. I would like to marry you if you'll have me." That was all he said as he gazed up at her. He had always said what needed to be said nothing more, and nothing less. And for Liliana, it was enough.

In the small nighttime greenhouse which he had decorated for her, stuffed full with fruit and sweets, enjoying the aroma of previously opened flower before her, with the man she loved asking her to marry him, it was enough. 

"Of course I will, Toshi." And then she was in his arms with his lips pressed against hers. It was more than enough.