Arabian wolf (Canis lupus arabs)

The Arabian wolf (Canis lupus arabs) is a subspecies of gray wolf which lived on the Arabian Peninsula

The Arabian wolf (Canis lupus arabs) is a subspecies of gray wolf which lived on the Arabian Peninsula. It is the smallest wolf subspecies, and a desert-adapted subspecies that normally lives in small packs.

Habitat:

The Arabian wolf was once found throughout the Arabian Peninsula, but now lives only in small pockets in southern Israel, southern and western Iraq, Oman, Yemen, Jordan, Saudi Arabia.

Characteristics:

Standing approximately 26 inches shoulder height and weighing an average of 40 pounds, the Arabian wolf is the smallest wolf subspecies, yet, the largest canid in the Arabian Peninsula. They have short greyish-beige hair which becomes much longer and thicker in winter.

Their ears are large in comparison to the rest of it's body (similar to the maned wolf). Their eyes are naturally yellow with black pupils. However, many are found with brown eyes, revealing that somewhere down the line their ancestors have interbred with feral dogs.

Diet:

Arabian wolves are mainly carnivorous, but also omnivorous and in some areas, largely dependent on human garbage and excess products. They also feed on hares, rodents, small ungulates, cats, sweet fruits, roadkill and other carrion.

Breeding:

Unlike most of their Northern sub-species, their breeding season starts in October and runs through to December. Gestation is 63 - 65 days, resulting in normally two to three pups, but litter sizes of up to twelve have been known.

Status:

Endangered.