Southern Rocky Mountain wolf (Canis lupus youngi)

The Southern Rocky Mountain wolf (Canis lupus youngi) is an extinct subspecies of gray wolf which was once distributed over southeastern Idaho, southwestern Wyoming, northeastern Nevada, Utah, western and central Colorado, northwestern Arizona, an...

The Southern Rocky Mountain wolf (Canis lupus youngi) is an extinct subspecies of gray wolf which was once distributed over southeastern Idaho, southwestern Wyoming, northeastern Nevada, Utah, western and central Colorado, northwestern Arizona, and northwestern New Mexico.

Habitat:

The Southern Rocky Mountain wolves were found throughout the Rocky Mountain region from northern Utah and southern Wyoming, south through Utah and western Colorado to northern Arizona and northern New Mexico. They then became more and more dispersed going west to Central Nevada and as far south as the Providence Mountains in Southern California. 

Characteristics:

In size, the Southern Rocky Mountain wolves varied from medium to somewhat large, similar to the Northern Rocky Mountain wolf.

They were 4 feet to over 5 feet in length, averaging about 90 pounds, though they were found weighing up to 125 pounds. They had light buff colored fur, similar to the Great Plains wolf.

Diet:

The Southern Rocky Mountain wolves primarily feed on bison, but they also feed on elk, deer, pronghorns, javelinas and other large ungulates.

Breeding:

Unknown.

Status:

Extinct since 1935.