Great Plains wolf (Canis lupus nubilus)

The Great Plains wolf (Canis lupus nubilus) also known as the buffalo wolf or loafer, is a subspecies of gray wolf that once extended throughout the Great Plains from southern Manitoba and Saskatchewan southward to northern Texas

Habitat:

Great Plains wolves had the largest range of any subspecies in North America, inhabiting most of the Western United States, southeastern Alaska, and central and northeastern Canada. However, by the 1930s, the subspecies had been almost totally eradicated from the United States.

By the mid-1960s, just a few still survived in northeastern Minnesota along the Ontario border. They are currently found in the western Great Lakes region of Minnesota, Wisconsin, Upper Michigan and Ontario.

Characteristics:

Great Plains wolves vary from 4 1/2 to 6 1/2 feet long from nose to end of tail, and weigh between 60 and 110 pounds. The female is roughly 80 percent the size of the male. Their coat is usually a blend of grey, black, brown, buff, or red.

Diet:

Great Plains wolves preyed on bison, elk, white-tailed deer, moose, snowshoe hare, small birds, and rodents such as beaver..

Breeding: 

To maintain the strength of the pack, usually only the alpha male and female reproduce. Mating season usually occurs from early January through late February at such northern climates.

Roughly 63 days after mating, the mother will give birth to 4 to 6 pups in a den. They become fully grown in 6 to 8 months and are sexually mature by about 22 months.

Status:

Endangered.