Alexander Archipelago wolf (Canis lupus ligoni)

The Alexander Archipelago wolf (Canis lupus ligoni) is a subspecies of gray wolf native to the southeastern Alaskan mainland from Dixon Entrance to Yakutat Bay, as well as on some islands of the Alexander Archipelago

Habitat:

The Alexander Archipelago wolves can be found on the southeastern Alaskan mainland from Dixon Entrance to Yakutat Bay, as well as on some islands of the Alexander Archipelago..

Characteristics:

Alexander Archipelago wolves are medium-sized wolves with short hair which is usually either black or another rather dark color.

They average about 3 1/2 feet long, 2 feet high, weighing 30 to 50 pounds. They have shorter, coarser, and darker hair than wolves in the northern and interior areas of Alaska.

Diet:

Alexander Archipelago wolves feed primarily on Sitka black-tailed deer. They will also prey on moose, beaver, mustelids, other small mammals, and birds. Researchers have learned in recent years that some wolf packs also spend a surprising amount of time feeding on salmon.

Breeding:

In southeast Alaska, pups are usually born during the last 2 weeks of April. Dens are usually built 4 to 5 weeks prior to the birth, between the roots of trees, in small caves or crevices in rocks, abandoned beaver lodges, or expanded mammal burrows.

Status:

Endangered.