Eurasian wolf (Canis lupus lupus)

The Eurasian wolf (Canis lupus lupus), also known as the common wolf or Middle Russian forest wolf, is a subspecies of gray wolf native to Europe and the forest and steppe zones of the former Soviet Union

The Eurasian wolf (Canis lupus lupus), also known as the common wolf or Middle Russian forest wolf, is a subspecies of gray wolf native to Europe and the forest and steppe zones of the former Soviet Union. It was once widespread throughout Eurasia prior to the Middle Ages.

Habitat:

Eurasian wolves has the widest range among all the wolf subspecies in Europe and Asia, ranging through Western Europe, Scandinavia, Russia, Xinjiang, Inner Mongolia and Heilongjiang and the Himalayan Mountains. They are found across the tundras, taiga forests, plains, boreal forests, scrublands, mountainous regions and rarely deserts. Their coats are suited to the plunging temperature and the northern, freezing climes.

Characteristics:

Eurasian wolves weigh from 70 to 130 pounds and can measure up to 39 inches at shoulder height. They can vary in length from 40 to 65 inches with females about twenty per cent smaller than males. Their fur is known to be shorter and more dense as compared to the North American wolf. Their colors range from white, cream, red, grey and black, sometimes with all colors combined..

Diet:

Eurasian wolves commonly prey on large to medium sized ungulates like mouflon, chamois, saiga, wild boar, red deer, roe deer and livestock. Eurasian wolves will occasionally eat smaller prey such as frogs and hares. In Europe, their largest prey is the wisent, while in Asia, are yaks.

Breeding:

Breeding seasons for Eurasian wolves vary between January and March, alpha male and female are the only ones allowed to mate. Litters, usually consist of 6 pups which are born 7 weeks later in a den which has been dug among bushes or rocks. The male brings food back to the den, either by carrying it whole or by swallowing and then regurgitating it for the others to eat. As the pups grow, the mother and other members of the pack help to feed them.

Status:

Least Concern.