Italian wolf (Canis lupus italicus)

The Italian wolf (Canis lupus italicus), also known as the Apennine wolf, is a subspecies of grey wolf native to the Italian Peninsula

The Italian wolf (Canis lupus italicus), also known as the Apennine wolf, is a subspecies of grey wolf native to the Italian Peninsula. It inhabits the Apennine Mountains and the Western Alps, though it is undergoing expansion towards the north and east.

Habitat:

The Italian wolves are found mainly in the Apennine Mountains in Italy. They have been found dwelling within 25 miles of Rome. Semi-recently, they have implanted themselves in Southern France, and areas of Switzerland.

Characteristics:

Italian wolves are considered a medium sized subspecies. Their body size varies from 39 to 55 inches in length and weighs 53 to 88 pounds. Females are roughly 10 percent smaller than males. Italian wolves are usually a mix of grey and brown. Though rarely seen, black wolves have been sighted in the Mugello region and the Tuscan-Emilian Apennines.

Diet:

Italian wolves are known to hunt at night, feeding mainly on both medium and small sized animals such as wild boar, roe deer, and red deer, chamois, elk, hares, and rabbits. They will also rarely feed on plants, berries, and herbs for fiber.

Breeding:

Young wolves usually stay with their birth packs until they are old enough to hunt with the pack. Mating season usually occurs around the middle of March. Gestation will then last for 60 days, after which the mother gives birth to anywhere from 2 to 7 pups.

Status:

Vulnerable.