Interior Alaskan wolf (Canis lupus pambasileus)

The Interior Alaskan wolf (Canis lupus pambasileus), also known as the Yukon wolf, is a subspecies of gray wolf native to the Alaska Interior and Yukon, except for the tundra region of the Arctic Coast

Habitat:

They are distributed throughout the interior of Alaska and the Yukon, Canada, where it ranges in adjacent parts of British Columbia and Northwest Territories. They rarely live in the tundra region of the arctic coast, as they are not able to survive the harsh winters and extreme conditions found there.

Characteristics:

Interior Alaskan wolves are usually of a darker color, most often black or black mixed with either brown, gray, or white. They are very large wolves, measuring 5 to 7 feet in length from tip of nose to end of tail. They are at present the largest subspecies of wolves in North America and possible the world.

Diet:

Interior Alaskan wolves primary feed on caribou, moose, beavers, Dall sheep, hares, mountain goats and ground squirrels and other small mammals.

Breeding:

The dominant pair is usually the only ones that breed. A wolf that has left its pack may travel up to 500 km (310.7 mi) to breed. Usually, the female and the male wolves will attain their maturity after one year of their birth. The female wolf is capable of offering birth to 4-6 wolf pups per litter.

Status:

Least Concern.