Mongolian wolf (Canis lupus chanco)

The Mongolian wolf (Canis lupus chanco) is a subspecies of the gray wolf native to Mongolia, northern and central China, Korea, and the Ussuri region of Russia

Habitat:

Mongolian wolves are found across Mongolia, northern and central China, Korea and the Ussuri region of Russia. They are found across forest steppes, boreal forests, mountains and desert steppes.

Characteristics:

Mongolian wolves have fur fulvous, on the back longer, rigid, with intermixed black and grey hairs; the throat, chest, belly, and inside of the legs pure white; head pale gray-brown; forehead grizzled with short black and grey hairs. The skull is very similar to, and has the same teeth as, the Eurasian wolf.

They are very like the Eurasian wolf, but rather shorter on the legs; and the ears, the sides of the body, and outside of the limbs are covered with short, pale fulvous hairs. The length of its head and body are 42 in (110 cm); tail 15 in (38 cm).

Diet:

Mongolian wolves usually feed on medium and large-sized ungulates, they sometimes feed on smaller animals, birds and rodents. They usually hunt in packs, but they sometimes hunt alone or in small groups. Packs may be active day or night, but are most often seen at dawn and dusk. Packs can be highly territorial.

Breeding:

Mongolian wolves are monogamous pairs mate in December, and gestation takes between 62 and 65 days. In May or June, litters of 6-8 pups are born in a den made in a small cave or cleft, or dug in the soil. Pups are weaned at 7-8 weeks. Individuals become sexually mature at 2-3 years, and in the wild generally live up to 15-16 years.

Status:

Endangered.