Indian wolf (Canis lupus pallipes)

The Indian wolf (Canis lupus pallipes) is a subspecies of gray wolf that ranges from Southwest Asia to the Indian Subcontinent

The Indian wolf (Canis lupus pallipes) is a subspecies of gray wolf that ranges from Southwest Asia to the Indian Subcontinent. It is intermediate in size between the Tibetan wolf and the Arabian wolf, and lacks the former's luxuriant winter coat due to it living in warmer conditions.

Habitat:

Indian wolves are found across India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Nepal, Bhutan, Israel, Turkey, Iran, and Syria. They live in the open grasslands, thorn forests, and scrublands.

Characteristics:

An Indian Wolf can be one of the smallest subspecies of wolves, though their sizes vary in height from 24 to 38 inches and in weight from 40 to 60 pounds, and have a short, dense coat that is usually of a reddish, tawny color.

Diet:

Indian wolves typically preys on deer, boars, antelopes, rodents, and hares. It usually hunts in pairs when targeting antelopes, with one wolf acting as a decoy while the other attacks from behind.

Breeding:

Indian wolves' breeding season is usually around October after the rains. Only the alpha male and female of the pack reproduce. Usually, a liter of 3 to 5 pups is born in December or January in an underground den. The mother and father look after the pups until they are 6 months of age.

Status:

Endangered.