Chapter Thirty Eight (Stop Two)

Stop Two..... Shelby, North Carolina

Alan's POV

So far we've only made one stop on this random tour, but already it's been so blessed. God's got some great things in store for all of us. And this tour. I think we really are letting people know who "treasured" they truly are by God.

Right now it's quiet on the bus. Probably because we stopped at a gas station for a break. I'm taking total advantage of the rare silence to make a video call back home. A few seconds after I dial my beautiful girls pop onto the screen.

Avery jumps up and down, "Daddy. DADDY! It's you! Look what I did today!" She shows me a craft she made. Presley gives me a quiet little wave, with that little smile of hers. Little Rowe Darling is sound asleep in Brycie's arms. She's only a few months old now. Don't get me wrong, I love doing what I do for the Lord. But I'm also pretty home sick for my beauties today. We chat for over thirty minutes. We finish up and I sigh, stretching and walking to the door of the bus.

Everyone is waiting outside the door each one wearing a big grin. Wait. What are they holding? I give them all a questioning look when I realize it's cupcakes.

"We wanted to cheer you up." Caleb says. This could end badly...

They do a count down and when they scream "GO!", every one of them slams a cupcake in their face. I can't help but laugh. "Thanks you guys. That was pretty cool."

Jamie's POV

The cupcake incident really made Alan happier. Of course now every one is having to wash icing off of their face, hair and clothes. It was worth it though. Jake laughed at us when us girls got on the bus. "Did y'all actually get any of those sweets into your stomach?" He gives his hearty, booming laugh that echoes through the bus.

We glance at each other. "Nope." We answer in chorus and laugh.

Kelsey lets Susanna and I go first, and while she is showering we talk about the music we grew up on. We both love Johnny Cash. Susanna says bluegrass is where her heart is, she's loves contemporary too, but it's just different.

My eyes light up as I pull out an instrument case, "How do you feel about banjos?

Susanna lets out a squeal. "Love 'em! Sound  awesome with a mandolin!" She pulls out a tiny case, showing me a deep brown mandolin. "Jam session, Jamie?"

"Let's do it!" I nod with excitement. We are both girls from the South with our music background being filled with the sounds of bluegrass and old country.

We do lots of picking on a wide variety of songs. Old, New, and everything in between. We end and Susanna grins. "That was awesome! We will have to do that more often." She grows silent, het eyes lit up. "Do you know where we are going to play next?"

"Yeah. Shelby, North Carolina. Why?" I ask. "Wait. I got what your thinking. That's the home of Earl Scruggs." Susanna grins. "Bluegrass medley ... in honor of that?"

"Oh yeah!" We high five each other and are grinning crazily when Kelsey gets done showering.

"What are you two up to? You're acting like Caleb and Joey." Kelsey says, glancing back and forth at us.

"Oh, just something." I laugh.

"Ok...ay then." The fact that she is totally unsure about this is written all over her face and it gets me and Susanna laughing.

~A few hours later~

Joey's POV

I just passed by Jamie Grace and Susanna. They are whispering and laughing. Something must be up. When they call for Susanna to go out on stage, she goes that way. But Jamie goes with her. They both take the stage and Susanna does her introduction. "Hi everybody. I'm Susanna Stephens. And I reckon you know who this lady with me here is." There were cheers mixed with laughter, Susanna laughed. "I thought so. I'm really glad to be here in Shelby, North Carolina tonight. It's a beautiful place. I did a little research before I came here and found out that this is the home of Earl Scruggs. Jamie and I have been working on a little surprise on the way here in honor of that."

"Enjoy our medley of Earl Scruggs' Foggy Mountain Breakdown and The Ballad of Jed Clampett." Jamie said to an eager crowd. Then they started into an incredible, very fast bluegrass song. Jamie on the banjo and Susanna on the mandolin. When they finished they were met with a loud and cheering crowd.

Jamie left the stage, and Susanna continued with her set. She came backstage, smiling and practically beaming. "That was wonderful, beautiful."

Her face grows red, and my own face feels pretty hot too. "Um... well.. oh look it's time for Anthem Lights to take the stage. Bye Sus." With that I take off running towards the stage, and end up sliding onto the stage, sliding to a halt right in front of Chad who just gives me a weird look. "I meant to do that!" I call out, and the crowd cheers. Well at least someone believes me.
 ------------------------

Authors note:

I wanted to give Jamie Grace a POV and I was thinking, boy I wish I knew if she knew how to play the banjo. I found out she did and was super excited. A video on her YouTube channel actually has her playing guitar and banjo for herself while she sings. I would have included that as my video for this chapter, but I decided instead to show you all who Earl Scruggs was just in case you didn't know. He's the one who played the banjo in the video. Anyways I hope you enjoyed this chapter. :)
Stay tuned!!! :D