||Chapter 16||

"Did you know that Oreos are now sold in over 100 countries now? And that it's the 106th birthday today." Brianna stated as she split the Oreo in half and licked off the frosting before munching on the chocolaty cookie. 

"You know, I've always wondered how people think of these things. Like who woke up in the morning and said 'you know I need to invent a mini sandwich cookie!'" Lauren tilted her head as she said this to pretend she was thinking. 

Brianna snorted in a very polite manner. (note the sarcasm) They continued to devour the cookies one by one, and soon the whole box was completely empty, except a few crumbs. 

"Welp, we ate that fast..." Brianna shrugged her shoulders and looked down at the empty box, a sad look on her face. Lauren also shrugged her shoulders and started pouring the rest of the crumbs into her mouth, which made Brianna laugh out loud. The two began laughing uncontrollably, at their own hunger. Lauren practically snorted out the crumbs, which made Brianna laugh even harder. 

Brianna and Lauren were laughing so hard that they didn't notice the front door unlock with a click.

"OH MY GOSH WE SHOULD DO THIS- wait let me show you..." Brianna says once she gained control of her giggles. Lauren watched as Brianna pulled out dry spaghetti from the cabinet, took two strands, and stuck them up her own nose.

Lauren's sharp laugh rang through the air. "YOU LOOK LIKE TONY STARK ON STEROIDS!" 

Brianna almost toppled over laughing. "I'M HIS DAUGHTER YOU IDIOT! OF COURSE I DO!!" She had to clutch onto Lauren to not topple over.

"This... is quite a sight to see." Said a voice behind both of them. 

Brianna and Lauren immediately stopped laughing and whipped around to see her dad, wearing a bright blue suit, crossing his arms. Brianna pulled the spaghetti out of her nose as quickly as she could.

"FUCK!" Brianna said aloud before Lauren clapped a hand over her mouth.

"$2 in the swear jar, Brianna." Her dad muttered disapprovingly. But he looked like he was holding back a laugh. 

Brianna fished out her wallet from her pocket with a huff. Meanwhile, Mr. Stark looked at Lauren with his condescending gaze. 

"It's of the highest insult to say that I would ever be on steroids, Ms. Harrison."

Lauren stuttered and then said some mumbo jumbo along the lines of, "Sure, whatever you say gorilla handstand juggling man."

Brianna's dad chuckled. Then he looked to Brianna with a serious face.  

"Someone is waiting for you outside, Bri."

Her heart twisted. Could it be?

Brianna went out the door and walked hesitantly onto the porch. She looked around, and her eyes landed on him. Him, with his blue sweater, his matted brown hair, and his hands tucked into his pockets. His eyes shifted from Brianna to the ground, Brianna to the ground. 

Frankly, she didn't know how to feel about seeing him again. Relieved that he wasn't dead? Sad that nothing was happening? Happy that he was back? She didn't know. 

"Hey." He muttered, not daring to look into Brianna's eyes. 

"..." She didn't reply in fear that she might blurt out something she would later regret.

"Can you... walk with me?" He asked. 

"Yeah."

She went down the porch stairs and stood next to him. They both awkwardly looked at the ground. The prior ease of talking to each other wasn't present in this moment. There was a lingering tension that felt like a rubber band about to snap.