The almost kiss

Mary's POV

I decided to grab some of the sketchbooks out of a cupboard to take with me so I could take them to the classroom when I'm done talking to the new teacher and have introduced myself. Luckily the sketchbooks had not been touched by the explosion and nethier had a spare bag, probably left by Julie, or a pack of pencils Hiden at the back. I place the items in the shoulder bag and transport myself over to the staffroom. Dimity told me where it was this morning.

When I get there the room is empty. Ada probably got Dimity to rest for a bit, she would just have to meet the new teacher tomorrow. I decide to sit in a chair near the window and start drawing the room. I was about to start shading when Hecate and Ada transfer into the room. "I told you she would be here." Ada was whispering but I had literally been trained to be able to hear whispers. Why was she talking about me?

I placed the sketchbook down on my lap. "Well met Ada, Hecate." I said placing my hand on my forehead and slightly bowing in my seat. "Well met, but Maryline you don't need to be so formal." I shrugged and smiled. Hecate was looking at me funny. "Hecate, my dear, are you alright?" She blinks back to reality. "I am fine," she mumbled. "I am going to retrieve our guest so why don't you two have a nice chat." Ada smiled warmly before transferring herself to stars know where.

"How have you been, my dear." She walked towards me slowly. "I have been fine since you helped me feel better." Truth be told, I really wanted to hug her again. She just felt so welcoming. If you met her though you would know that her personality is the exact opposite of that. "Good to hear, my dear." I smiled warmly at her. "Ada is taking her time isn't she." She had sat down in the seat next to mine. We were silent for a while. "Hecate. Are you alright?" "Yes I'm fine." She spoke too quickly for my liking. "Are you sure? You seem to have gone a little pale." She was silent again.

Suddenly Ada transported herself into the room with who I presumed to be Arabella. "Well met, my name is Arabella Hempnettle and I am the replacement games teacher." I didn't like the way she said replacement instead of cover teacher. "Well met, I am Miss Maryweather and I am the art teacher." I kept a smile on my face trying to look friendly. "I am Miss Hardbroom and I teach potions." Hecate didn't even bother to get up or smile. I don't blame her.

She smiled at her and sat down next to Ada on one of the sofas. "Why didn't you bother standing," I whispered to the woman sat next to me reading. "did I need to?" I giggled at the rhetorical question and look on her face. "I suppose not." I managed to say after I had stopped laughing at her smug face. "What were you drawing anyway?" Her voice was as calm as when we were talking before in my classroom before she said that about me.

"I was drawing the staffroom." "Why?" "I was bored. You two took your sweet time getting here." She blushed when I said that. Had they been talking before they got here? "Hecate?" "Yes?" Her voice was quiet again. "I have a question that's been plaguing my mind for the past hour and forty minutes." I was looking at my hands in my lap at this point. "What is it Mary?" "Well." I was deciding on weather I should ask her or not. She was looking at me in such a way that it actually gave me bravery.

"Why did you say I looked ravishing when I took my coat off and let my hair down?" It was a rush of words that came out of my mouth that I was hoping made sense. By the look of pure horror on her face I could tell that they had. We were both silent as we stared at eachother for a while. "I was honestly hoping you'd forgotten." She looked away ashamed. Was she scared that I hated her? "Hecate. Look at me." My voice was ferm and monotone.

She turned back to me cautiously. "What?" Her voice was the quietest I had ever heard it. I placed my hand on her cheek. She blushed bright red and didn't dare move as she sat ramrod straight. I giggled, smiled and then started tracing my thumb along her cheek. She subtly leaned in a little but it was enough for me to feel it. Her mouth almost looked like it was smiling. "Hecate." My voice had gone quiet as well. We were slowly leaning in simultaneously.

"AHHHH!"