All I Want For Christmas Is You

Ship: IceMav 

AU(s): Goose is alive

Warning(s): Idk, I don't think there are any

~

Pete Mitchell has never been extremely fond of Christmas. He never had a real family to celebrate it with. He looks at it as just another day in the year. Even though he spends it with Goose, Carole & their son, Bradley, Maverick just doesn't care for it. The only reason he still celebrates is because he knows that he'll get some money from his aunt.

The last meaningful gift he ever got was when he was four years old. It was his father's pair of aviators, the same pair that Maverick wears all the time. He doesn't leave the house without them.

This year, he, Goose, & their fellow pilots were stuck on the carrier for Christmas. Goose had made at least 30 calls home to Carole within the past week. They've decided they'll wait on the celebration after Bradley said he "doesn't wanna celebrate without daddy".

"Should I call again?"

"Goose, you just called home 10 minutes ago."

"What if something happened in those 10 minutes that I need to know about?"

Maverick rolled his eyes,

"You're such a nervous nelly."

"Sorry, Mav, it's just..." Goose sighed, "In all the years we've been here, I've never missed Christmas before."

Maverick nodded, only half paying attention. He was off in his own world, wondering what he was gonna do. He only ever celebrates Christmas with Goose & his family, he's never had to miss Christmas at home either.

He sighed.

"You okay Mav?"

"Yeah.. just.. I don't know what I'm gonna do for Christmas this year, since we're here until the 27th."

"I feel you.." Goose replied, "But, hey, you're still coming to celebrate with us when we go home, right?"

Maverick thought for a second.

"Yeah, I am."

"Well, there, you got something to do."

"I guess.."

Goose raised an eyebrow.

"There's something else on your mind."

Maverick stayed quiet.

"What's wrong?"

Maverick sighed, looking away from Goose and out to the water.

"I just feel lonely, even when I'm with you guys.."

"Maybe your depression is back?" Goose suggested.

"Every year around Christmas?"

"I don't know. I'm no psychologist, Pete."

"I just feel like I'm intruding on family time, especially since.. Ya know.. I don't have someone.."

Goose knew what he meant.

"Pete, you're part of the family. You're not intruding at all. Hell, you know Carole and I are always happy to have you in the house." Goose reassured.

Maverick nodded slightly.

"I'm gonna go lay down for a bit."

"You're not going to join us at the Christmas function?" Goose asked.