Short Story #7

Ship: IceMav

AUs: None

Warning(s): none really

~

It was a bright, sunny day in Miramar. Mother Nature clearly didn't reflect the weather that would fit the scenario.

Goose was dead. Maverick had fallen to rock-bottom in less than an hour after hearing the confirmation of what he already knew.

He hated sunny days. Goose loved them.

Maverick wanted it to be dark and cloudy so he didn't have to think of his late best friend. He wanted to hide in his shame and drink away his sorrows.

But one person didn't let him.

One person looked after him after he cried himself sick, one person convinced him not to quit, one person still cared about him; Tom Kazansky.

Iceman wouldn't let Maverick hurt himself, he wouldn't let him end his life, he wouldn't let him drink, he wouldn't let him out of his sight.

And Maverick was annoyed with it at the time. But by the time Iceman had called him his wingman, he couldn't be annoyed with him anymore.

He couldn't be annoyed with the man who saved his life, with the man that comforted him, the man that had taken care of him even when he didn't want him there, with the man he'd fallen in love with.

And he knew Goose would approve of him, he knew Goose would have wanted nothing more for him than for him to live on, soldier through, and be happy.

Every time it's sunny outside, Maverick knows Goose is still with him;

he knows that Goose never left.