.Chapter Seventeen.

Chapter Seventeen                 Evalyn                

Friday came really fast. Before I knew it, I was being pack into one of the two buses after school. I stood in the aisle of the almost already full bus not seeing anybody I really knew well enough to want to sit beside them and listen to them for the two hours it would take to get to the campgrounds.  Just as I was about to give up, I was shoved from the back only to be caught by the arm as I started to fall.

“Crap! I’m sorry Eva. You ok?” asked Owen as he let go of my arm.

I rubbed my arm pretending to be in pain and I whined, “No, I think you broke my arm Owen!”

He rolled his eyes as he punched me in the same arm, and laughed at me. “Come on, want to sit with me? I can ask somebody to move so we can sit together,” he offered.

I nodded my head in agreement and Owen went to work. He leaned in and flashed his shy smile as he asked one of the girls if she would mind moving because he really wanted to sit with me so that he could ask me out. Smiling at his ‘romantic’ idea, the girl willing gave up her seat to go closer to the front with some of her other friends.

I covered my laughter with a cough as I looked at Owen, who stood back letting me take the window seat. “Why thank you good sir,” I said.

“So Eva about this… I was really hoping to take this change to ask you out,” he joked.

“You can escort me to the banquet on the final night if you wish, but be warned, you will also have to escort one of my other gorgeous friends as well as me, think you can handle that?” I teased.

“With pleasure! I mean, sure I can.”

I raised my one eyebrow and smirked at him. “I’m sure it’s your pleasure Owen. Can I see your schedule? I can’t find mine,” Owen nodded and unzipped his school bag and dug around for a minute, looking for the piece of paper and pulled it out when he finally found the one I wanted to see. I looked it over again, trying to memorize the details and the times we had to be where when.

“Now I can see why Mr. Conner said this was going to be a busy weekend,” I laughed as I handed Owen back the schedule.

              “Do you think the cabins will be heated?” he asked.

“It’s mid-October. I hope that the cabins will be heated!” I exclaimed.

“Want to sing a few songs?” he suddenly asked after a minute of silence.

I smiled as I said, “You know I can never say no to singing. Go grab a guitar.”

For the rest of the bus ride, there was a little crowd around our few seats, all belting out song lyrics for the many songs that were played. The guitar was passed around as songs were requested.

When we finally pulled the camp grounds about an hour later, everybody piled off the bus, happy to be able to walk around and stretch their legs after the long ride. We all huddled around a big tree and the other bus pulled in behind our own. Then the parent supervisors who had driven their own cars came in next.