.Chapter Thirty Three.

Chapter Thirty Three                               Evalyn

"What time are they going to be home?" Carter asked.

"Around noon," I replied turning silage look at the clock that was on the wall. "So another thirty minutes," I announced.

"Then we should get dressed," he said, while I looked at him questioningly. Glancing down, I saw I was still in one of his shirts. Standing up, Carter reached down and grabbed my hand, helping me to my feet. Carter went over to his room and got a fresh pair of clothes while I quickly went through my closet and tossed on whatever I could find. I went downstairs to the living room and turned the TV on to some channel, pretending to watch it. Carter soon joined me and we sat there quietly, cuddling on the couch waiting for our parents.

I was the first one on my feet and running for the door when I heard it open. My mother had just enough time to throw down her bags before I threw myself into her arms. She hugged me close before holding me at arm’s length to inspect me.

Seeming satisfied with what she saw she said, “I missed you so much."

"I missed you, too," I said as she smiled back at me. She released me and went over to Carter and gave him a hug as well.

Colin walked in the door then, carrying two large suitcases in each hand. “I’m home,” he announced.

“Welcome home,” I said waiting for him to set the suitcases down before I gave him a hug too.

“So, what was broken while we were gone?” my mum asked as she went to pick up her suitcase. I took it from her hands so she wouldn’t have to carry it and Carter followed suit grabbing one of the ones his father was carrying.

“Nothing,” Carter replied and grinned at me making my heart skip a beat.

“I’m sure I’ll find something,” said Colin as we all started up the stairs, dropping their bags in the bedroom. Deciding that they would deal with unpacking later we all headed for the living room.  

For the rest of the day and into the night, all four of us sat around catching up on what we had missed during the week. Colin and mom told stories about Québec and the funny things that had happened to them. During a late supper of delivery pizza, Colin sipped his beer and asked again, "Really now, what did you guys break while having that huge party I know you had?"

"It was just me and Carter most of the week. Vic came over for a while but nobody else," I replied.

"If you say so," he said.

When we were done eating we went into the living room and watched the television, talking late into the night until we were all nearly asleep where we sat. We dragged ourselves up to our beds after saying goodnight to each other. I was asleep before my head hit the pillow.

I opened my eyes and blinked a few times before I realized it was Christmas day. I tossed my blanket off me and got out of bed. Not bothering to get changed, I ran to Carter’s room and jumped up on his bed and started bouncing.