.Chapter Five.

Chapter Five                            Evalyn

“This is nice. Thank you, Evalyn,” my mum said to me.

I looked over at her and smiled. Her face was pushed into a hole so I couldn’t see her expression but if I had to guess it would be one of pure bliss thanks to the man in black pants and white shirt whose muscles were very nicely defined. He was standing over her with his hands running up and down her body. I could understand why she was enjoying this.

“You’re welcome, mum. I asked everybody what they thought you would like and they all said this. Colin especially thought this was a good idea,” I told her.

She moaned before saying, “I’ll remember to thank them, too.”

“I’m just glad that you like it. What do you get a woman who has everything… a massage of course,” I joked.

“And don’t forget you just happen to be getting one to,” was her response.

This was true. Another man wearing the same thing as the other was standing over me and pushing out all the knots in my shoulders. Massages really were the best thing ever to get, and it’s not every day your mum turns forty. I let myself relax into the chair type thing I was laying on and closed my eyes in pleasure.

“Does this mean I’m forgiven for skipping school today?” I asked her.

“I guess just this once, I will forgive you,” she said.

Suddenly the guy who was rubbing my back stopped. “It’s been an hour,” he said in a deep voice informing me that my time in heaven had come to an end.

“Thank you,” I said as the two men closed the door behind them. I got up and began to put my shirt over my head while my mum did the same.

“What do you have planned next?” my mum asked after we had finished getting dressed again.

I slipped my shoes on slowly while I pretended to think about it. “Secret, now let’s go” I said and grabbed her arm hooking it with mine and dragged her out of the room and back to the car.

I turned up the radio and pulled out of the parking space. I rolled my eyes as mum started to fiddle with the controls. The other one had been on commercial and mum couldn’t stand them. Settling on something she leaned back and rested her head against the seat.

I started tapping my hand to the beat and mum started to hum along to the songs. Before long, we were both full out singing the songs and laughing together. It felt nice to have a day for just the two of us. With mum at work and me at school, and her and Colin planning the wedding, there just hadn’t been as much time for just the two of us as there had been before. I will admit that I missed the time when we would get into our pajamas on Friday nights, watch movies, and talk to one another.

“Ok, time to close your eyes,” I told her when we were about ten minutes from our destination.