.Chapter Twenty.

Chapter Twenty                      Carter

“That table over there needs a blue table cloth and don’t forget to draw the bubbles on the corners!” Vic yelled at some of the other girls who were helping set up. She was the head of the decoration committee for the formal dinner tonight.

This year the theme was ‘Underwater’. Everybody had been asked to wear something dressy that was blue, green or black. The tables had blue and green plastic covers being put on them, then black bubbles were being drawn around the corners to make it seem like we were under water. The center piece was a large wooden basket filled with sand and seashells with a plastic candle in the middle of the basket.  There were also a few seashells on the table as well as small containers of bubbles for people to play with.

I was on the top of a ladder while Gerald, who had gotten dragged into helping so the girls could borrow his strength to help move some things, handed me blown up blue and green balloons to hang from string. There were multiple balloons hanging on each string, each one about a foot away from the other. We had only put up ten, but Vic wanted at least thirty hanging from the ceiling. It was a pain to do, but as I continued to put them up I could tell it was going to be worth it!

I heard laughing at the other side of the room and turned my head to see what was going on. Owen was tickling Eva as she was trying to blow up balloons. She tried to push his hands away from her sides, but to no avail. A few seconds later he stopped tickling her and pulled her towards him. He held her jaw as he kissed her.

“Carter, you ok?” asked Gerald.

“Yeah man, I’m fine. Let’s get these thing hung up before Vic comes over and yells at us,” I said trying to joke. I snuck a quick glance Eva’s way to see that she had returned to blowing up balloons and handing them to Owen so he could tie them before tossing them to Gerald to grab.

When everything was set up to just how Vic wanted it to look, everybody was able to go and enjoy what was left of free time.  I wondered off to the camp fire pit where we would be having our big bon fire tonight and saw that Mr. Conner had recruited some of the parents to gather fire wood with him to get ready for later.

Continuing on, I followed the trail and ended up at the lake and watched as the five guys and two girls jumped into the lake in their swimming trunks and bikinis. They must have a few nuts lose in their heads to think that was a good idea. It was October for crying out loud.

“There you are,” called Isabella.

“Was just enjoying watching their guys freeze their asses off before I went and got ready for dinner,” I told her as I hugged her when she was close enough to me.

“Want to sing something for the open mic coffee house tonight?” She asked.

I shrugged and said, “Do you want me to sing with you or play?”

“I was thinking we both playing guitar and harmonizing something,” she suggested.

I nodded as I replied, “That could work. Any song in mind that you want us to do?”