.Chapter Two.

Chapter Two                           Carter

I woke with a start, my alarm clock yelling at me, telling me it was time I get myself out of bed and ready for school. It was my first day of senior year.  I groaned as I rolled over and hit the snooze. I had been dreaming about that night in June again. The night I found out I was in love with my soon to be step-sister.

By the end of July, my father and I had moved in with Eva and her mom. I rolled over, and pulling the covers over my head, and just lay there wondering once again what would have happened if my dad and Joyce had never met. Maybe I would have finally gotten the courage to ask her out on a date. If I had asked would she have agreed? Or would she have laughed in my face and said we were only friends and she didn’t want more. I was torn from my thoughts as my alarm went off again. This time I didn’t snooze it but instead, got out of bed and stumbled my way to the bathroom.

I turned on the shower and hoped in without letting it warm up, using to cold water to startle me awake before the water heated up and relaxed my muscles. Once I was done in the shower and all dressed, I walked out of the bathroom only to nearly run into Joyce, who was standing there waiting for her turn.

“Morning Joyce,” I greeted.

“Morning, can you go wake up Eva? I heard her alarm go off but no stumbling about after. She must still be in bed,” she asked me. I agreed, walking across the hall and knocked on Eva’s door. There was no answer. I twisted the doorknob and let myself in. I could see and big mass in the middle of her bed.

“Get up,” I said, giving her three seconds before I grabbed the edge of the blanket and pulled on them. There was a little yelp as she grabbed on, trying to keep the cold morning air away from her, but I was stronger than she was. I managed to tug the blankets out of her hands only to freeze mid-pull; she was only wearing a pair of shorts and a tank to bed.

“I’m up now, go away!” she screamed at me, pulling me out of my daze as she grabbed the blanket back from me and covered herself again. But I couldn’t drag my eyes from where she lay. A blush crept up into her cheeks, making them turn a bright red. “Stop staring. You can see I’m up. Get out.”

                I turned around grumbling, “Your mum told me to make sure.”  Shutting the door behind myself, leaving her lying in bed, face flushed with embarrassment.

I grabbed my school bag from my room, shut my door behind me, and went downstairs for breakfast. My dad was standing in front of the stove scrambling eggs for me. I put two slices of bread in the toaster and pushed them down, leaning against the counter as I waited.

“Are you ready for school?” Dad asked over his shoulder while he cooked.

I shrugged as I said, “I think so.”

My toast popped and I grabbed and plate, buttered the slices just as my dad slid the eggs on my plate. A few minutes later, I could heard Evalyn as she came down the stairs. She did the same as me and grabbed bread, sliding them in the toaster before she leaned against the same counter I had and started to pull her socks on.