Near Death and New Life

Surprisingly enough, pregnancy has been kind to you. Morning sickness has been rare and you never have any strange cravings. Sherlock has gone with you to every doctor appointment and even cut down on cases so he can be with you. May rolls around which just so happens to be both the month of John and Mary's wedding and the month you are due. You are actually due five days after the wedding. Mary wanted to reschedule, but you convinced her not to change her plans just for you. Even though you are married, she insisted that you be her chief bridesmaid. Sherlock is John's best man, which everyone expect to be disastrous.

It's the day of the wedding and you are waddling around the flat trying to get ready. You are absolutely huge and every simple task has become a nightmare. Sherlock helps you into your dress and you tie your hair back in a simple half-up style. You're now standing in the flat alone since Sherlock has gone to meet John for some last minute best man things. Just as you go to leave, your water breaks. You clean up quickly and continue on your way. You don't tell anyone because you don't want to spoil John and Mary's big day. This baby will not ruin the wedding. The first phase of labor is pretty chill and lasts about 8 hours so you should be fine, right? Lucky for you, the ceremony is short and sweet, but unluckily this leaves time for a long after party.

At the after party, you are introduced to everyone. Some people you have already met while doing your bridesmaid duties with Sherlock. You snicker every time he makes a snide comment. Once inside, you watch as Mary spits out nearly every food she chose. A feeling you know all too well. Sherlock goes to call Mycroft and you head to the bathroom.

You're now two hours into labor and the contractions are getting worse. They last for a minute at a time and are often only ten minutes apart or less. You stand in the bathroom for a few minutes and look through everything you can find in the internet about labor.

You come back out and find everyone seated. You scurry over to the table and take your seat next to Sherlock. He begins to read the telegrams, but you aren't really paying attention. Pain ripples through your body and you bite your lip. The contraction is over quickly and you relax a bit.

You try your best to listen to Sherlock's speech, but it's rather hard to do when you know that you will be pushing out a baby in under 14 hours. The tablecloth becomes very interesting as you are trying to distract yourself. You look up and find people in tears and John hugging Sherlock. You assume he just said something sweet and smile up at him. John sits down and Sherlock continues with funny stories of John.

Another contraction rips your attention away from your husband. Your dad makes eye contact with you from across the room and mouths, "are you okay?". Of course he noticed your discomfort. You muster up the best smile possible and nod.

Sherlock starts telling the story of John's bachelor party and you smile at the memory of them coming home that night. They were both absolutely plastered. You stayed on the sofa and babysat the two grown men while they hobbled around drunk. A client ended up coming in and you had to take over. They were barely conscious and obviously in no state to deal with a client. So you, very pregnant and very tired, had to help this woman deal with the fact that she had dinner with a ghost. Your dad found them in a holding cell the next morning and sent them home to you.

Sherlock finishes the story having missed a few details along the way seeing as he could barely remember anything the next morning. He now has everyone stand up and raise a glass to the couple. You start to get up and Sherlock offers his hand. You take it and notice something. He's in and out of his mind palace.

You follow him in and his mind is moving so fast it's hard to keep up. His glass drops from his hand and shatters pulling you both back to reality. Sadly, for you, reality comes with another contraction. You take your seat and breathe your way through it. Due to the pain, you almost miss Sherlock jumping over the table.