Together

You choose to sleep in the next morning while Sherlock follows John around looking for the missile plans. You tidy up the flat, talk with Mrs.Hudson some, and then settle down in Sherlock's chair to watch the telly. After a few hours, the boys come back to find you shouting at the show you're watching.

"Of course he's not the boy's father! Look at the turnups on his jeans!"

Sherlock looks at you in admiration while John just shakes his head. John sits down at his computer and you make room for Sherlock in the chair. The two of you go back and forth yelling at the telly.

"Still waiting" John sighs.

"For what?" you both ask.

He looks at Sherlock and continues. "For you to admit that a little knowledge of the solar system and you'd have cleared up the fake painting quicker than (Y/N)" You shake your head knowing that you'll have to admit your knowledge gap soon.

"Didn't do you any good did it?" Sherlock asks snarkily.

"No, but I'm not a detective. It did help (Y/N) though."

"John, stop" you plead knowing this won't end well for him.

"No, really. He can't admit he could have done better"

"John," you try again.

"No, I want to hear him admit it"

"JOHN, I don't know a damn thing about the solar system either. I only learned about heliocentrism recently" By now you're shouting.

John just looks at you for a second then grabs his coat. "I'm going to Sarah's" he sighs and leaves.

The second he hears the door close, Sherlock pulls out his laptop and starts typing. You peek over his shoulder and see:

Found. The Bruce-Partington Plans. Please collect. The Pool. Midnight.

A smirk forms on Sherlock's face and you lay your head on his shoulder.

"I'm coming with you and you can't stop me."

"It wouldn't matter if I tried to stop you anyway. You will stay behind me though. I'm not putting you in the line of fire."

You hop up from the chair and run into the bedroom to get the gun you took from Lestrade. You are not willing to settle for a shoe this time. The whole way there, Sherlock holds you close to him as if it's the last time he'll be able to. When you arrive, he kisses you softly and you kiss back.

"Together?" you ask.

"Together"

He strides into the building and you follow close behind. When he stops walking, you press your back against his so that you cannot be seen from the front. You take out your gun, turn off the safety, hover your finger over the trigger, and point at the ground. Sherlock starts to monologue, but you block it out. Focusing on your surrounding is the most important thing right now. What catches your attention, though, is when the door ahead of Sherlock opens and closes. Your breath hitches when you hear the voice.

"Evening. This is a turn-up isn't it Sherlock." It's John.

You let out a shaky breath and regain your composure.

"John, what the hell?" You can hear the pain in Sherlock's voice.

"What... would you like me to make him say... next"

When you hear that, your shoulders relax a little. Only a little. At least John is still John. He's still the brother you never had.

"Gottle o' gear, gottle o' gear, gottle o' gear," John says in a somber tone.