Chapter 2: The World We Leave Our Children - Part 1

Picture rights: A cropped screenshot from Swords of an Honorable Ruler 

***

Toga continued his rounds along the borders of his small, western kingdom, keeping an eye out for those that would attempt to take his hard-earned lands from him. All too often, though, he found himself drifting to the south, back to the quaint little town of Setsuna and the fearless little human that never ceased to amuse him. 

When he visited, he brought with him gifts and stories for Izayoi and her family. The ever-present threat of the powerful inu daiyoukai acted as a deterrent for ill-intentioned humans and yokai alike. Soon the town was seen as the a safe haven and a top-choice trading town. Merchants flocked to it, and as they did, the town began to thrive. Izayoi's family became great again, and their name spread far beyond the confines of their small province. 

Not everyone liked Toga's presence in Setsuna, however. Yokai, they knew, were dangerous beasts that could not be trusted. Some people secretly condemned Izayoi's family for their association with Lord Toga and his yokai friends. The friendship seemed unnatural, and it was often whispered that nothing good could come from it. 

While most looked at the honored family with disdain and disgust, there were those that were instead filled with indignant rage. They did not speak their feelings publicly, knowing their beliefs were at odds with their prospering neighbors, but in the dark and the quiet, in the secret and secluded, they talked, they plotted, and they schemed.

***

It had been a little over five years since Lord Toga had saved Izayoi and Ika from a life of servitude and despair.  With their new, better standing in the world, Shoto and Karin were finally able to arrange proper marriages for their daughters. 

Ika, fourteen, and Izayoi, age ten, were surprised one night to find their parents had invited two families to supper.

"Ika, Izayoi," Karin smiled, "we would like you to meet your betrothed. Ika, this is Benjiro. Benjiro is training in the art of kimono-making."

Ika and Benjiro's eyes immediately met, held.

"It's nice to meet you, Lady Ika," Benjiro said quietly.

"And you, Benjiro-sama," she said with a small smile.

With a pleased look on her face Karin turned to her youngest daughter. "Izayoi, this is Takemaru. He is training in the way of the sword."

He was a handsome enough young man, but something about him unsettled Izayoi, something in his eyes. 

Something calculating and mean. 

Takemaru's unnerving eyes slowly made their way up and down Izayoi's body. With disdain he realized, "She's a child."

"She's only three years younger than you," his father admonished.

"You're not marrying her for several years yet, dear," his mother reminded him.

"I don't want to marry him!" Izayoi found herself blurting. She recovered her emotions, as she had been taught, and breathed deeply before continuing. "I will not marry this boy."

"Izayoi!" Karin admonished. "Be kind to our guests."

"If you'll excuse me, mother, father, guests," Izayoi bowed and walked out of the house.

"Izayoi! I am so sorry, my lords," Karin gasped, rising to run after their daughter. 

Shoto gently grabbed Karin's hand, "Let her go. Perhaps young Takemaru should go after her?" 

The boy stared at him in silence until his father elbowed him. Looking like he would rather do anything else, Takemaru nevertheless bowed stiffly and followed his childish bride-to-be. 

***