Chapter 10: Confessions - Part 2

Picture: https://gramho.com/explore-hashtag/Inuparents; artist credit in picture 

Hours later they stood in a warm cave. When she seemed uncertain, Toga took her hand and led her inside.

The darkness of the cave eventually gave way to a gently lit hot spring.

"How?" Izayoi gasped in wonder.

Toga pointed to the natural sky light in the overhead rocks. "It will still be dark tonight, but I plan to have a fire by then."

"It's beautiful."

He smiled at her joy and asked, "Will this be okay for our first night together, wife?"

She nodded uncertainly, and Toga knew she was nervous; truthfully, so was he, though his pride would never allow him to admit it. He had not been a saint in his youth, but he had functionally been a chaste monk since Sesshomaru's conception.

Regardless, none of the women of his past had been Izayoi, and he wanted so much to explore her, pleasure her.

One step at a time, he reminded himself. The first task would be to make their temporary dwelling comfortable.

He cleared his throat, "I will fetch us supplies for a fire and for our meal. What would be your pleasure for supper tonight, wife?"

"I-I'm not sure. Whatever you bring I'm sure I will enjoy."

Toga nodded, "I'll return soon. Do not leave this cave. I'll place a barrier over the entrance for your protection. If anything tries to get in, call for me."

She nodded.

While he was hunting for supper and supplies, Izayoi decided to set up camp--if for no other reason than to settle her nerves.

She removed their travel pallets and set them near the hot spring, at first several feet apart. Then, after blushingly reminding herself that they were now married, she moved them beside each other to create one large bed.

"Hopefully that will not seem too forward of me," she murmured. Then she shook her head. Her husband was not a human man. "Toga will not think badly of me for this. I think it will please him, actually."

And she wanted to please him.

She just wasn't sure how.

Her whole life had been lesson after lesson of how to be a good wife for every possible situation--except the one situation that made her a wife instead of a companion, guardian, or housekeeper.

She suddenly wished that she had been brave enough to ask Kana about the intimacies between men and women, though admittedly she hadn't realized that Kana had known any more than she did until --

Oh, well. There was little value in what-ifs. They did not help her present or future.

The only person she could ask now was Toga.

She paused. That was not a bad idea. It would be embarrassing, she knew, but realizing that she would be able to talk with Toga calmed her.

After all, she didn't care what pleased most men; she cared only about pleasing Toga.

It didn't matter that she was entering unfamiliar territory. He was still Toga, her beloved protector. The only difference now was that they were allowed to always be together.

And to touch each other.

She smiled shyly at that thought and turned her attention to collecting stones to build a fire pit.

She was nearly done when she heard movement at the front of the cave. She squinted down the long, dark corridor, unable to make out what it was.

"Toga?" she called nervously.