Chapter 5: Journey and Introspection - Part 3

Picture: Rumiko Takahashi and Viz Media 

A fire, food, and Toga's surprisingly entertaining story about a water imp had gone a long way toward easing her mind of the troubles it carried.

Toga was finishing a story about sword training a young Sesshomaru when he saw her eyes start to go unfocused.

She blinked rapidly and dug her nails into her hands.

"Izayoi, I believe it's time for us to rest. I'm sorry we couldn't make it to a town."

She yawned, "It's fine. It's actually exciting. I've never slept outside before. Father packed a roll-up cot and blanket for me to use just in case."

She looked at him, suddenly embarrassed. Should she have said that? What if he didn't have one? Was that rude of her? Would it hurt his pride if she offered it to him? She wasn't planning to sleep anyway ---

"When outside, I prefer to sleep in my true form, if that's acceptable to you."

"True form?" she wondered, intrigued.

"Daiyokai often have more than one form. Have you never wondered why I am called Inu no Taisho by my men? Or is it common for humans to call their masters dogs?"

She thought of the fluff that seemed to grow from his shoulders, forming something almost like a furry cape. "I'd never thought about it before, really. I guess I thought maybe because of your mokomoko?"

His lips quirked slightly, "I'll show you then. Don't be scared. In any form, I am still Toga, and I will always protect you. Do you understand?"

She nodded, her eyes wide with anticipation.

He walked several steps from the cave entrance before stopping to look at her and say, "Remember, it's just me. If this scares you too much I will sleep in my human form."

"I won't be afraid," she quickly promised.

She says that now, Toga thought, not understanding why he felt nervous.

He glanced away from her so that she wouldn't see his eyes flash red, his fangs lengthen, his mouth elongate--

His power flared, momentarily blinding her. She blinked quickly, and when her sight returned, she was staring at a massive Dog Yokai.

He was breathtaking and terrifying and magnificent--!

In this form, Toga had a white coat that seemed to glint like silver in the moonlight. His familiar, amber eyes were sharply assessing and watching her face carefully--probably to make sure she didn't run away screaming. The mental image made her smile.

Seeing her smile, his shoulders relaxed, and his muzzle stretched into a ferocious grin, revealing enormous canine fangs. On his back, his mokomoko fluttered in the wind.

He stood proudly for a moment, allowing her time to get used to his new form, and then slowly so that he didn't scare her, he dropped to his belly and looked at her.

Izayoi's heart hammered, but she walked over to the giant yokai anyway, her eyes never leaving the familiar amber eyes that somehow always made her feel safe.

When she was near him, the wind caused his mokomoko to drifted up and wave, drawing her gaze. It looked so soft--

Of its own volition, her had rose to touch it.

Just before making contact, she seemed to remember herself and let her hand fall back to her side.

Toga butted her gently with his head and turned as if to say, I won't be offended if you feel my fur.