Chapter 5: Journey and Introspection - Part 2

Picture: Rumiko Takahashi and Viz Media

Their discussions the rest of the day were carefully benign, and, if they were being honest with themselves, centered on topics that most would find mundane and boring.

However, just the fact that they were talking kept Izayoi completely enthralled. Listening to the deep timbre of his voice was its own kind of music, and the melody spoke directly to her soul.

As for Toga, his mind was constantly calculating and analyzing. He had always considered her a bright child, but he could tell that she had grown into a surprisingly intelligent woman. Unlike many human men, yokai valued an intelligent mate. A yokai proverb stated that a man did well to find a wife with a welcoming smile and a quick mind.

Her quick mind was what he had to be careful with now, else she catch onto the fact that he was still trying to figure out who she had fallen for. So, instead of asking obvious questions, he paid close attention to her reactions. Which topics made her smile? What memories made her eyes twinkle? Who appeared in her stories more than once? Was there a name she said with reverence or a special cadence?

"You've been healing for a while now. Do you have a favorite herb?" He asked, holding a branch out of her way.

"Hmm, that's a difficult question. I'll have to think about that."

"We have time."

She laughed, the sound musical and pleasant.

Toga frowned. Intelligent, beautiful, kind, and strong in a uniquely feminine way. She would be impossible for any yokai to ignore. Was his protection really enough to deter someone? Yokai were fools in love and often did foolish things for love.

"Toga-sama?" She asked hesitantly, noting his changing mood. "Did I do something wrong?"

"No, of course not. I was simply lost in thought. You were going to tell me about your favorite herb?"

She breathed deeply and seemed to finally commit to an answer. "If I'm being honest, it would be Purple Iyasu. It's a root from a plant in the nightshade family. It takes some practice to tell it apart from its poisonous cousins, but it's very versatile. The root gel can counteract most kinds of venom, the leaves can relieve itching if applied to the skin and fever if made into a tea. Its powdered berries can be used to help patients sleep. And--I'm sorry, am I boring you?"

"No, I was just remembering. Was that the plant you used to heal me?"

She glanced away, "Uh, yes, yes it was. I'm surprised you remember that."

He said gruffly, "Of course I remember! I'd never tell anyone else this, but I was very grateful for your help that day... though it hurt my pride to need it. "

He noticed a blush staining her cheeks, as she quietly murmured, "I hated to see you in pain. I was very worried."

They traveled on, and as the hours passed, Toga noticed her eyes were starting to droop and her steps slow.

They were still many miles from any town or village. There weren't many hours of daylight left.

He couldn't fly them anywhere. All it took was one person seeing his yokai form in the sky to alert his vassals that he was nearby. The whole point of his visits was to catch them unawares. He wanted to see how they ruled when he wasn't there.

"Rest here for a few minutes. I'm going to scout ahead for a suitable campsite. Call for me if anything happens. I won't be far."

"Alright."

Her relief shamed him. Had he been pushing her too far?

Speeding away, he ran in a spiral outward from where she rested against a large tree trunk. Less than a mile north he found a cave that would be suitable.