Chapter 8: Proposals - Part 1

Picture credits: Rumiko Takahashi and Viz Media, Inuyasha series 

Chapter 8 - Proposals

Toga walked slowly, not knowing what he would say to Izayoi when he found her.

He wanted to deny Kana's claims, but after hearing about the dog-eared child from Kana's vision and seeing Izaoi's own reaction, he realized he could not continue to deny what seemed obvious to everyone else.

Even that slug Takemaru.

He followed her smell to the edge of the woods, his heart breaking at the smell of fear and tears that floated from where she had hidden herself.

Of course it was in a bush.

He paused when he heard her talking to herself, shamelessly eavesdropping.

"...and-and how could Kana do that to me?" she sobbed. "My life is over now! Toga won't ever come near me again knowing how vile I am..."

No, he didn't like her thinking that.

"Izayoi!" he growled, walking right up to the bush she had hidden herself in. He was amused to see her pull her toes farther into it.

"Izayoi," he said, more calmly this time. "What are you doing in that bush?"

"T-Toga-sama?"

"Who else would be following you into the woods?"

"Toga-sama, about what Kana said, you must understand, I know that there can never be anything between us."

"Izayoi--"

She continued on as if she hadn't heard him, "I-I'm sorry. I know that must have been shocking for you to hear. I know that it's wrong and I shouldn't feel this way, and --"

He sighed, "Izayoi, come out of there."

"I-I can't Toga-sama."

"It's just me out here, Izayoi."

"No, my--I mean your--kimono is caught in several places. I can't seem to get free."

Without a second thought, he dropped to his knees and crawled in after her, surprised by the number of thorns that pricked his skin and pulled at his hair, his hakama. How had she gotten so far into this thing?

A second later he found her, thorns claiming pieces of her hair, sticking to her clothes, and cutting her arms and feet.

"Toga-sama," she whispered, hiding her face from him with her hands. "I'm so sorry. I never meant--I can't believe Kana--"

His tender touch on her arm startled her into silence.

Gently, he pulled her hands from her face, surprised by the overwhelming warmth he felt and the deep, consuming compulsion to comfort her.

Her eyes swam with tears, and she turned her face away.

"Izayoi."

He rested a large, calloused hand on her cheek and held her wrists gently in his other hand. "Izayoi, look at me."

Her heart stuttered at the reverent way he said her name. She looked up at him in shock.

He wasn't angry? Disgusted?

"Toga?" His name held every question she didn't dare voice.

He smiled, then started gently untangling her from the bush. When that didn't work, he said gruffly, "Come here."

He pulled her into him, holding tightly as he slashed the bush.

A second later, a breeze stirred his mokomoko and they sat staring at each other, her hands resting lightly against his chest.