The Blitz

Peter's POV

A hard thump of the cold, hard floor hitting my back, jerked me awake. What was that dream all about and who was the girl with the hood? I didn't have much time to ponder over it as Finchley's sirens were going off. Bombs shook the ground around and made walking a little difficult. Grabbing a nearby flashlight, I ran to the door adjacent to mine.

"Susan! Hurry!" I yelled.

"I'm coming!" She called back, alerting me that she was awake.

"Peter!" Mum called frantically.

I darted into the room and saw my brother at the window. What is he doing there?

"Peter, quickly! To the shelter, now!" She ordered.

I grabbed Edmund, "Come on!" And pushed him out the door towards our little underground bomb shelter.

The sirens were even louder outside and the German bomb planes were coming closer.

"Come on, quickly," mum urged us, standing at the door of our shelter.

"Run!" I yelled at my siblings.

"Hurry!" Susan urged, entering the shelter with Lucy.

Edmund suddenly turned around, "Wait, dad!"

Oh boy, I groaned.

"Edmund!" Mum yelled.

"I got it!" I shouted back, running after Edmund and back into the house.

I followed Edmund into the living room where he grabbed a photo of father in his military uniform.

"Ed!" I exclaimed annoyed.

"Get down!" I ordered, pushing my brother to the floor just as a bombshell exploded too close for comfort and making the window blow in.

I got up and hauled him out the door, "Come on, you idiot! Run!"

We raced out the door and towards the shelter again. Once we reached the building, I shoved him inside first and then stepped inside.

"Why can't you think of anyone but yourself? You're so selfish!" Why can't Edmund think before he acts? "You could have gotten us killed!"

"Stop it!" Mum barked, cuddling Edmund with her arms.

"Why can't you do as you're told?" I muttered at him, turning to shut the door.

****

It was the next morning and we were all at the train station. Mother has decided to send us to the country side since it wasn't safe for us here in London with the war going on.

There was a lot of noises and the train platform was crowded.

"You will need to keep this on dear," mother told Lucy as she pinned a paper on Lucy's jacket. "All warm?"

Lucy nodded.

"Good girl," she smiled.

"If Dad were here, he wouldn't make us go," Edmund muttered.

"If Dad were here, it's mean the war was over and we wouldn't have to go," I replied, still thinking about that strange girl from my dream I had had last night.

"Promise me you'll look after the others?" Mother asked me, drawing me back to the present.

"I will, Mum," I assured her.

"Good Man," she replied, hugging me which I returned.

"Susan, be a good girl," mother told Susan who nodded.

Mother then looked at all of us, "Now off you go."

I took Lucy's hand and followed Susan and Edmund as we headed to the train.

"Hey, get off. I know how to get on a train you myself. Get off me." Edmund grumbled, pulling his hand out of Susan's.

Looking over at a poster for the war, I noticed some soldiers in uniforms heading off to the war. I hope this lengthy war with the Germans would be over so father would come back and no more houses would be blown up by some crazy fighters who didn't care a bit about human lives down below.

Susan pulled our boarding papers out of my hands getting my attention back to the process at hand.

Lucy looked back to try and see mother around the people but she was just too small.

"Come on, Lucy, we've got to stick together now," I whispered in her ear. "Everything's going to be all right, it's going to be fine."

Lucy was just eight and worried about mother, sometimes she needs a little encouragement.

We boarded the train and looked out to say goodbye to mother.

"Goodbye my dears!" Mother called waving at us as the train pulled away from the station.

"Bye Mum!" We all called back.

We walked down a line of train carriages until we found one with two other kids inside. They didn't say anything as we walked in and put the luggage on rack above. I had to help Edmund as his bag almost fell on him proving he really did need help. I sent him a glare before we all took our seats.

The train made one stop and some kids got out including the ones with us. After that it was open country.

(A/N): Hey guys hope you enjoy! Please comment!