The Witch

Layla's POV

I joined Lucy and Susan at the archery range for practice. Susan loaded her bow and took aim.

When she fired, I made vines grow up and move the target away from the flying arrow. It was a miss of course.

"Layla!" Susan exclaimed, annoyed.

I just laughed and set the target back in place.

"Watch and learn, girls," I smiled, selecting an arrow from the quiver and loading it into the bow.

Taking aim, I breathed in slowly, and calmed myself. I fired.

The arrow arched through the air flying directly towards the target. Within seconds, I fired another one and just as the first struck the center of the target the second hit the same spot and splintered the first. A double bullseye!!

I picked up the target and brought it over for a closer look using vines again.

"That was a good one, Layla!" Lucy clapped.

I set the target back where it was and turned to Susan.

"Your turn again."

She fired, and the arrow struck the target just barely off the center.

I grinned, "with more practice, you would be shooting bullseyes in no time."

"Only if you don't keep removing the targets!" She replied.

I laughed, "targets will be moving in battle, Susan."

Lucy drew her dagger and aimed.

"Yeah, Lucy!" I cheered when her weapon hit the bullseye.

We heard hoofs pounding the ground and turned to see the boys were on horses practicing their jousting skills.

"Come on, Edmund! Sword point up, like Oreius showed us," Peter instructed.

I smiled. The boys were doing a good job considering this was their first time using a weapon.

I some cries from camp, the Witch was coming. Since I was connected to nature, I knew what was happening before others did.

Mr. Beaver ran up to the boys, "Peter, Edmund!"

Edmund's horse reared up. "Woah, horsey!" He attempted to calm it.

"My name's Philip," the horse replied.

"Sorry," Edmund stammered and I hid a smile.

"The Witch has demanded a meeting with Aslan. She's on her way here," Beaver explained.

****

"Make way! Queen Jadis of Narnia!" Ginarrbrik announced as we ran to the front of the group on the side.

Many voices of the Narnians yelled threats at the White Witch.

"You don't belong here!"

The Witch sat atop a stone brier carried by four Cyclops. They set her down on the ground and she stood and strode towards Aslan. She looked at us as she passed and Edmund gulped. I quickly positioned myself in front of him. Vines wrapped around my arms ready to strike if needed.

"You have traitors in your mists, Aslan," Jadis spoke.

The crowd gasped and I growled angrily under my breath. My vines sprouted short little thorns.

"Their offense was not against you," Aslan replied.

"Have you forgotten the laws upon which Narnia was built?" Jadis questioned.

"Do not cite the Deep Magic to me Witch," Aslan barked. "I was there when it was written."

"Then you'll remember well that every traitor belongs to me. Their blood is my property,"

"Try and take us then," I threatened. "We will not go with you."

"Do you think a mere force will deny me my right, Little Watcher?" She grinned icily. "Your magic is useless against me."

She turned to the crowd, "Aslan knows knows that unless I have blood as the law demands, all of Narnia will be overturned and perish in fire and water."

She pointed at Edmund and my vines grew longer thorns.

"That boy will die on the Stone Table, as is tradition. The girl comes with me. You dare not refuse me." The Witch threatened.

"Enough," Aslan ordered, "I shall speak with you alone."

By the tone of his voice, I felt a chill go up my spine. I could sense what was going to happen. The Witch followed Aslan into the tent. We were all sitting on the grass waiting for them to come out. After a while, the tent's flaps open and the Witch came out. She glared at the two of us before walking back onto her bier.

"She has renounced her claim on the Son of Adam's blood," Aslan announced.

The Narnians erupted in a loud cheer and I relaxed a bit.

"How will I know your promise will be kept?" Jadis asked.

Aslan roared at her and she sat down on her throne.

The Cyclops hoisted the bier back on their shoulders and retreated out of the camp. There was celebrating in camp and the Pevensie. I smiled slightly then turned gripped Edmund's shoulders.

"You're safe now," I comforted quietly, however I couldn't shake the uneasy feeling in the pit of my stomach.

I looked back at Aslan, he had a sad look on his face. When he turned, the grass moved slightly and whispered;

Forest Watcher, walk with me.