The Coronation

Layla's POV

After a few days of resting and packing up the camp, we headed for the castle at Cair Paravel. Now day of the Pevensies coronation was here at last! No more endless weeks of training and preparations. I was set in the position of Guardian of the Royals, as was my duty.

Standing in my room in front of a floor-length mirror, I grinned.

"That green dress makes you look like a goddess, Layla," Lucy clapped happily.

"Or a Forest Goddess," Susan added

"And you two are just as pretty and my Queens. Speaking of which, don't we have a Coronation to go to?"

Susan laughed, "to the point as always. It's good to have you back, Layla."

"Yeah, Edmund wouldn't be here without you," Lucy chimed in.

"And it's about time Peter admitted he ever liked you," she then added.

Susan laughed at this so I walked out the door to meet the boys.

They waited outside the doors of the throne room with Aslan.

Peter didn't take his eyes off me when he saw us. I just grinned and took my spot in front of them while Aslan stood between them.

With a flourish, I pulled the doors open and we walked down the aisle to the four thrones. Narnians of different sizes and species stood in the room. Two lines of centaurs formed a path.

We stopped in front of the thrones and I took my spot beside the thrones. The Pevensies came up the small dïas and stood in front of them.

"To the glistening Eastern Sea, I give you Queen Lucy, the Valiant," Aslan announced.

Tumnus came forward with the beavers holding crowns. He selected a silver crown with flowers on it and set it gently on her head.

"To the Great Western Wood, King Edmund the Just." Edmund's crown was also silver with leaves on it.

"To the radiant Southern Sun, Queen Susan the Gentle." Susan's was like Lucy's but bronze with golden flowers.

"To the clear Northern Sky, King Peter, the Magnificent." Just like his title, Peter's crown was magnificent with broad bronze feathers standing on each point.

"And to the rolling planes of the West, I announce, Layla, the great Forest Watcher as Guardian of the Royals."

Aslan turned to us, "Once a King or Queen of Narnia, always a King or Queen of Narnia. May your wisdom and strength grace us till the stars rain down from the heavens."

"Long live King Peter!" Everyone shouted. "Long live King Edmund! Long live Queen Susan! Long Live Queen Lucy!"

"Long Live the Guardian!"

****

I weaved my way through the crowd of Narnians aimlessly while the Royals talked with their new subjects. I met with Glimmer, the beavers, caught up with Hunter the fox, Oreuis and others that I hadn't seen since coming back to Aslan's camp weeks ago.

I passed by the balcony and saw Lucy out there watching Aslan leave.

"Shall I talk to her?" I heard Mr. Tumnus ask beside me.

I grinned softly at him. "Yes, I'm sure she'll love that."

He bowed slightly and turned to go talk to Lucy. I smiled as I watched them for a while before resuming my meandering.

I found the other Pevensies near one end of the room so I went over to them.

"I see that you three are getting the hang of this royal stuff."

They laughed.

"Yeah, I wouldn't have thought we'd be here when we first arrived here, thanks to you Layla," Susan chuckled.

It was my turn to laugh, "actually, that was all Lucy, I just guarded you."

"Say, you never told us how you knew our names back in England." Peter questioned.

I shrugged, "Aslan told me before I first left Narnia that I'd know who you were when I met you but as for the names, well, I just over heard Professor Kirk mention you guys to Mrs Macready."

I laughed at their surprised faces. "Oh, you learn a lot when you're quiet."

This wasn't the most fun I had since coming back to Narnia but it was definitely the most memorable.