Prophecies

Layla's POV

"Come on, we don't want to be caught out here after nightfall," Mr. Beaver informed us as he led us through an opening in a cliff.

Soon the passage opened up into a nice clearing with a lake surrounded by snow dusted trees. I took in a deep breath, feeling one with world around me. The crunch of the snow under my feet and the crisp cold air. Lovely.

I could sense Peter's gaze on me, but I let him look. I knew he liked me, it was way too obvious. The boy needs to try harder if he wants to hide it. I could feel my necklace on my chest burn warmly with unknown energy. Was Peter the key for the necklace that Aslan spoke of?

"Ah, blimey!" Mr. Beaver exclaimed. "Looks like the old girl has got the kettle on. Nice cup o' Rosy Lee."

"It's lovely," Lucy remarked.

"It's just merely a trifle," Beaver excused. "Still plenty to do. Ain't quite finished it yet. It'll look the business when it's done though."

We walked up to the dam behind Beaver, and his wife came out to great him.

"Beaver, is that you?" She asked. "I've been worried sick! If I find you've been out with Badger again, I...." she stopped when she saw us.

"Oh! Well those aren't badgers. Oh, I never thought I'd live to see this day!" She exclaimed coming up to us.

"Look at my fur. You couldn't give me a ten minute warning?" Mrs. Beaver asked her husband.

"I would have given you a week if I thought it would have helped," Beaver replies, chuckling.

"Oh! And is that you Layla, dear?" She smiled, seeing me. "Good to see you have returned."

I returned the smile, knowing the Pevensies were frowning at me. "It's good to be back, ma'am, sir," I greeted them, warmly.

"Oh, come inside, all of you, and see if we can't get you some food and some civilized company," she invites, leading the way inside the little dam.

Beaver chuckled again and so did Lucy. Peter, Susan and Lucy go inside with me behind them. I did noticed Edmund had stopped to look at two mountains in the distance. He had met the Witch when he first came to Narnia. I sensed this because my necklace had glowed the night he had went.

"Enjoying the scenery are we?" Mr. Beaver asked him, but Edmund ignored the comment and entered the dam with us.

We all sat down at a small round table with Edmund behind us.

"Is there anything we can do for Mr. Tumnus?" Peter asks.

"They have taken him to the Witch's house. You know what they say. There's a few that go through 'em gates that come out again," he replied.

Mrs. Beaver came over and set down a dish with food on the table. "Fish 'n Chips!" She touched Lucy's reassuringly. "But there is hope dear, lots of hope."

Mr. Beaver spits out the drink he had been drinking back into his cup.

"Oh, yeah, there's a right bit more than hope!" He looked at us all. "Aslan is on the move."

At this, I smiled but the Pevensies just looked on. Their expressions not changing.

"Who's Aslan?" Edmund asked, standing up.

"Who's Aslan?" Braver laughs merrily. "You cheeky little blighter."

Mrs. Beaver nudges her husband and he looked at her.

"What?" He asked, then he notices the Pevensies.

"You don't know do you?"

"Well, we haven't exactly been here very long," Peter pointed out.

"Well, he's the only king of the whole wood. The top geezer. The real king of Narnia!" Beaver exclaims.

I saw Edmund leave but I knew couldn't leave now. I didn't want to reveal my secret just just yet.

"He's been away for a long while," Mrs. Beaver added.

"But he just got back! And he's waiting for you five at the stone table!" Mr. Beaver exclaimed.

"He's waiting for us?" Lucy asked.

"You're blooming joking! They don't even know about the prophecy!"

"Well, then..." Mrs Beaver replied, indicating for him to tell them.

"Look." Beaver instructed. "Aslan's return, Tumnus's arrest, the secret police, it's all happening because of you!"

"You're blaming us?" Susan exclaimed.

"No! Not blaming, thanking you," Mrs. Beaver corrected.

"There is a Prophecy, two prophecies actually," Beaver started. "'When Adam's flesh and Adam's bone sits at Cair Paravel in throne, the evil time will be over and done.'"

"You know that doesn't really rhyme," Susan pointed out.

"Yeah, I know it doesn't," Beaver excused. "But you're kinda missing the point!"

"It has been long foretold that two Sons of Adam and two Daughters of Eve, with the the Forest Watcher, will defeat the White Witch, and restore peace to Narnia," Mrs. Beaver added.

"Of course, we mustn't forget the second," Mr. Beaver quickly added.

Peter and Susan exchanged a look while Lucy looked on.

"The key will be found when the Son of Adam saves Forest Watcher and unlocks the moon."

Susan and Lucy gasped and Peter swallowed nervously.

"And you think we're the ones," Peter asks.

"Well you better be!" Mr. Beaver exclaims, "'cause Aslan's already fitted out your army, and the Forest Watcher will need you!"

At this, Peter blushed noticeably. His sisters bitting back their laughter.

"Our army?" Lucy asks.

"Mum, sent us away so we wouldn't be caught up in a war," Susan explains, looking at Peter.

"I think you've made a mistake, we're not heroes," Peter denies and Susan added;

"We're from Finchley!"

The Beavers looked at each other confused.

"Thank you for your hospitality," Susan replied, standing up with Peter. "But we really have to go."

"You can't just leave!" Mr. Beaver objects.

"He's right," Lucy agreed, "we have to help Mr. Tumnus."

"It's out of our hands," Peter insisted. "I'm sorry, but it's time the five of us were getting home."

He turned around, "Ed? Ed!"

"I'm going to kill him," Peter swears, turning back to the table.

"You might not have to," I spoke up.

"Layla's right," Beaver added, "has Edmund ever been to Narnia before?"