Chapter 5

There you sat in your bedroom. Rereading the emails between your brother and Evan Hansen. It had been about two weeks since Evan last been over for dinner, but here he was tonight. Back at your house. Probably downstairs. 

About a week after his visit, something arrived in the mail. "Look, Y/N!" Your mother had said. "It's from Evan. Im sure these are the emails he was talking about!" She was so excited. Somewhere in your heart, you had hoped it would be a letter explaining the situation, and that he was sorry for lying about Connor. But to your dismay, it was not. It was just as your mother had said.  You don't know how he did it, but Evan somehow managed to fake emails between him and your brother. You sat there in awe as you read the emails.

Dear Evan Hansen,
We've been way too out of touch. Things have been totally crazy, and it sucks that we don't talk that much. 

I've gotta tell you, life with out ya has been rough. I miss hanging out with you, and I miss talking about life and other stuff.

For starters, I love my parents, but each days another fight. And same goes for my sisters, but between you and me, I have more fights with Zoe than Y/N. But  as much as I love her, sometimes I really want to throw Y/N down the stairs lol. Most of my fights with Y/N are about my drug addiction. If I stop smoking pot then everything might be alright. Sooo I'll take your advice, and I'll try to be more... nice? Idk. Just know I'll turn it around, wait and see.

The email then continued to talk about how Connor would turn his life around because "all that it takes is a little reinvention." You groaned at how fake they were. It was so obvious. For starters, the grammar and spelling were totally on point. Connor wasn't the worst when it came to writing, but he tended to slip up every now and then. His worst word was "sincerely." Just as you have trouble with the word caterpillar and Zoe sometimes has trouble with the word envelope, Connor always had trouble with sincerely. He often spelled it "senserly" or "sinsirly". You rolled your eyes as you read the sappy crap. Even though you had read the emails prior, something had caught your eye. The ending.
Sincerely,
Me.
You instantly remembered the fake suicide note. Even though you knew the note was fake, it still made you feel sick. You could see Evan was trying to play it off as how they talked to one another, since signing off a letter with "Me" instead of a name of some kind was quite odd. Still, it bugged the hell out of you. You swallowed hard and flipped the page to see Evans response letter.

Dear Connor Murphy, 

Yes, I also miss our talks. Please, please, pleaseee, stop doing drugs, just try to take deep breaths and go on walks. 

I'm sending pictures of the most amazing trees. Maybe you'll see some of these on your walks. And maybe we could go on walks in the forest sometime. If we do, then I promise you'll definitely be impressed with my forest expertise!

Dude, I'm proud of you. Just keep pushing through! You're turning around, I can see. 

Remember, just as you said, all that it takes is a little reinvention. And it'll be really easy to try if you give it your attention! All you have to do is just believe you can be who you want to be!!

Sincerely,

Me :)

You continued to flip through the rest of the emails, (most of them were pretty short), and eventually decided to go downstairs. You passed by your deceased brothers bedroom, peeking through the cracked door, hoping to see Connor reading a book or something. You prayed that you were just hallucinating or something, and that Connor wasn't really dead. However, when you passed by his room, you saw a figure standing by his bookshelf. Out of plain curiosity, you gently opened the door...