Chapter 41

CATARINA

What started as a baby shower, turned into a pretty big celebration of all things Jace and Catarina Alexander. I was shocked by how many people from the town came by to celebrate with us, congratulate us, and bring us gifts. The gifts were unbelievable. When Ember and Harlow had brought up a baby shower, I thought that they were talking just about the family from the ranch. I didn’t realize that we’d have so many people from all over showering us and our baby girl with gifts.

Once Brooke and Bev set up the sound system, the party was on and even my big ass pregnant belly danced with Nola and all my other girls on the dance floor. I promised Jace all of my slow dances and he held me to that. By the time the night was over, my ankles were swollen and my back was aching, but it was worth it. Jace brought me home and took me straight to bed. I didn’t even change out of my dress from the night. I woke up a few hours later to use the restroom and changed into my regular sleepwear.

Jace left for work early this morning, but that was normal. The previous night I had made plans with Nola, Dante, and Asher for today, they were going to be staying in the cabins while they were here, so we planned on a late morning at the big house for breakfast. I took a shower and changed into capri leggings and a tank top, walking over to the big house.

“Hi, Tracy!” Grandma Tracy was sitting in the living room with a cup of tea and her book. She closed the book and put it town, patting the spot next to her, inviting me to sit down.

“Hi dear, how are you doing this morning? Recover from last night?” I sit down next to her and put my feet up with a huff.

“Oh man, it was so good, but I am still tired from all the dancing I did. I forgot that I was this pregnant.” I rub my belly, “but I really loved celebrating with everybody and I think this little one did too, she’s been super active all day.”

“Do you mind?” She moved her hand near my stomach and I nodded to give her permission. Baby girl had been super active all morning so far and sure enough, she was rolling around with Tracy put her hand on my stomach. “You would think after all the babies I had and all of my babies being pregnant with my grandbabies that I would get used to that feeling, but it still amazes me every time.”

“I’m going to miss feeling her once she’s born, but then she’ll be in my arms, so I guess I can’t complain too much.”

“You’ll always miss being pregnant a little bit. Maybe not enough to want to get pregnant again right away, but enough.’ Tracy laughs.

“Jace and I have moved quickly, I think we’re going to slow down a smidgen bit once she’s here. At least slow down on the surprises. I want to make sure that we focus on building our marriage and working on being parents before taking on much else.”

“You two are going to be just fine. I can see it when I look at the two of you. Jace is the perfect combination of his mom and dad and I can just tell the two of you are tied together in so many ways.”

“Thanks, Grandma.”

The front door opens and I hear Nola’s robust voice come in. I start to get up, but she puts up her hands and comes to be instead, leaning down for a hug, “Don’t you dare get up, mama, you need to stay off your feet today.”

“Oh stop it, I’m fine. I walked all the way over here ya know?”

“Well, I kind of wish you hadn’t but I see you’re in good care over here too so I’ll forgive it. Tracy, mind if I whip up some breakfast in your kitchen,” she holds up some plastic bags.