Chapter 22

CATARINA

Harlow: I’m downstairs, are you ready or just want to meet me over there?

Me: Just slipping on my boots.

Harlow: See ya soon!

It’s been almost a full week.of living on the ranch and things have been pretty great. There have been some lows and I’m not going to sugar coat it, but I expected that considering that Jace and I were changing our lives in such a short period of time. Spending the night with him was much different than living with him. In addition to living with him, we were also living with Deacon. Don’t get me wrong, Deacon’s funny and hilarious and a pretty fun guy, but he also has the worst timing ever. He’s seen me in my underwear more times than some ex-boyfriends of mine.

I’ve also had a few days that were really hard on me. I had to go into town and get a new cell phone plan since my dad took my old phone and canceled that. They weren’t able to retrieve any of my contact lists and I had to get a new number. I ended up crying in the parking lot because I thought I’d never get to talk to my friends again. Jace let me cry for a bit and then reminded me that he had Nola’s phone number and she should be able to get anybody else’s that I wanted or needed. 

The other breakdown came when I was unpacking and came across a few pieces of jewelry that had been given to me by my maternal grandma. All of my grandparents have passed on, but my maternal grandmother was the one I was always closest to. My dad’s parents lived at the southernmost part of the state and we only saw them a few times a year. My mom’s dad passed away before I was born, but my grandma lived with us. She sat with me in the hospital during my recovery and then found her way into my bedroom while I was processing life and writing down my feelings. She taught me how to knit, something I promised myself I would pick back up with my newfound free time.

There were always things going on here, but I wasn’t involved in any of those things so I always felt like I was just tagging along. Jace was up at godawful hours to work on the ranch, as was Deacon. They usually took a break for lunch and I would hang out with him then, but then usually he wasn’t finished until almost dinner time. I started hanging out in the big house, just for people to talk to, and yesterday Harlow invited me to go hang out at the bakery today.

It’s weird that they basically have a full functioning bakery on the grounds. I knew Port Ranch was a huge wedding venue, Sasha wouldn’t have picked it if it wasn’t, but they have weddings almost every weekend. I’ve already been around for one and they have another planned Saturday night, even though tomorrow is Thanksgiving.

“Sorry that I didn’t head all the way upstairs.” Harlow was standing at the bottom of the staircase. She had on an oversized hoodie, I’m guessing that it is Lyle’s, and her blonde, curly hair was piled high on top of her head.

“I don’t blame you. You don’t need to be going up any more stairs that you have too.” I got down to her and we greeted each other with a hug. I couldn’t help but put my hand on her belly, she was so damn cute, I could hardly stand it. She had a literal basketball belly. She just looked like she was hiding under her sweatshirt and pretending like she was pregnant.

“There are days that I feel like this baby is going to fall out. I mean, I know it isn’t possible, at least not yet, but living on a second floor can suck.”

“I’m sure. Do you want to talk over or we could take one of the golf carts?” I point over to where the golf cart that Jace brought for me is sitting. 

Harlow shakes her head and loops her arm into mine and starts walking, “Nope, I like walking around here. Plus the days are numbered before it starts snowing, so we better take advantage.”