Chapter 45

CATARINA

“I’m going to be pregnant forever,” I groan as Harlow comes back into the living room with a glass of water for me.

“Oh stop it, you’re only a couple of days overdue and Hilda said that is normal with first-time pregnancies. You just need to stay active and drink your water and she’s going to come, I promise.”

“Nope, I’m going to be pregnant for years. She’s going to have to get her high school diploma while still in my belly because she’s never coming and I’ll be pregnant for eighteen years.”

Harlow laughs and I just glare at her. She does know what it is like to be past your due date and still pregnant. Both Clemmy and her went into labor before their due dates and were completely shocked. I have done everything Hilda suggested, even sex, and all I have are these darn Braxton Hicks contractions that are just random and never lead to more.

The entire ranch seems to be as anxious for this baby to be born as we are. It’s been a bit crazy around here for sure, but the rainbow at the end of the storm is certainly Miss Aubree’s impending arrival. I get no less than three text messages from Britt a day asking her how I’m feeling. If I don’t answer her within five minutes she calls. I love her, she’s great, even though she’s driving me insane.

Nola texts at least five times a day. She wishes she could be here, but she’s not able to get away from work right now. She said once the baby is born she’ll travel just for a quick weekend to visit. She and Dante are still together in their committed, but not committed way. He has his first court case for custody in a couple of weeks and fingers are crossed he gets primary custody of the twins as he wants.

Asher is still hanging around Lawrence. He comes and goes, staying in one of the cabins when he is here. He has turned into a bit of a nomad, but he said once the baby is born he’s going to travel around the country, just for fun. Like me, he feels a bit orphaned right now. Since the story was released about Randall and our dad, contact with our parents has only consisted of two very angry phone calls. Although it was an anonymous leak of the images, Mom and Dad assumed that we had to have something to do with it. To be fair, we did. Asher, surprisingly, took the blame, but it didn’t matter, we were pretty much dead to them.

Dad played the “sex addict” victim role in everything. He stepped down from his position and immediately checked into some sex rehab place in Florida. I don’t believe he’s actually there. He’s probably in fucking Key West banging the pool boy. I don’t know. Mom is doing her part, “sticking by his side.” I have no doubt in a few years he will run for office again since he’ll be recovered and they will love his story of salvation. Barf.

Tabby isn’t speaking to us either, she was involved in one of the angry phone calls. I feel a bit of sadness that her life kind of blew up the way that it did, but I just remind myself that I was an innocent party and they had no issue using me to cover up what was going on with them. Randall actually was the one that filed for divorce from her. Neither of them signed a pre-nup and I have a feeling that it is going to get messy.

Warren? I don’t know. Asher had a conversation with him where he basically said that he was disappointed in our choices, but I don’t have room in my mental space for his disappointment.

“Let’s go get lunch and then go for a walk!” Harlow slapped my knee and I groaned. I didn’t want to go for a walk. I didn’t want to leave this couch until Aubree decided to make her way out.

“Oh stop it. Lacey wants her favorite auntie to walk with her.”

“That was low, Harlow. Even for you.”