Chapter 26

CATARINA

I’ve been running errands all morning to get ready for Nola to arrive. I probably overdid it, but I wanted to make sure that she had everything she really liked at Britt and Granger’s place. In their basement, where the guest room is located, Granger brought in a small mini-fridge. I was busy putting new sheets on the bed when I heard a herd of elephants down the basement stairs. 

“Halt, who goes there?”

There was a momentary pause and then giggles. I looked behind me, out the door to see Ella and Laney standing in the hallway. “Hi Cat!”

“Hey there, Ella! Hi Laney! Are you two home from school?”

“Yeah, Mommy said you were down here setting up the room for your friend.”

“Yep, do you two want to help me?”

They both nod their heads and step into the room. I point to the bag of snacks and let them know they could unpack those and put them on the dresser and they start the task at hand. I take the finish up making the bed and then take a seat on the edge and wipe the sweat off my brow.

“Are all these snacks for your friend?” Laney asked.

“Yes and no. I figured we’d be spending time together catching up over here since we have more space than Jace and I do at our home.”

“When me and Laney have sleepovers, we always make big hot fudge sundaes.”

“Oooo, that sounds good, I should have picked up some ice cream.”

Ella leans forward and cups one side of her mouth to tell a secret, “Mommy keeps ice cream in the garage freezer.” She ends it with a wink. I give her a smile and a giant thumbs up.

“Are you two almost done with school before the break?”

“We have to go three more days and then we’re off for Christmas Break. Are you going to be here for Christmas too?” Laney asks.

“Of course she is, Laney!” Ella exclaims. “She lives here now, don’t you know? Right, Cat?”

“You’re right, Ella. Since Jace and I got married, I’m living with him and Deacon now. I don’t plan on going anywhere, that’s for sure.”

“Even though you’re married, you live with Deacon too? What about when you have babies or when Deacon gets married?”

“You’re full of questions, aren’t you, Laney?”

“My mom says that all the time too.”

“I bet she does,” I wink at her. “I don’t know what we’re going to do in the future. I guess that would be a conversation. I think Jace would like to stay on the ranch, I mean...who wouldn’t? I haven’t even been here long and I love it. You girls are lucky, getting this view every single day.”

“You could build a house by us, Cat!”

“Well, maybe that is something that Jace and I will talk about in the future. Until then, we’re both happy living where we are living and I don’t mind living with Deacon either. Plus, I think he likes having somebody around to cook for him.”

The girls giggle, “The boys eat so much!” Laney rolls her eyes.

“Yep, they do. What about Landon, does he eat a lot?”

“Mama always says he has two stomachs, one for snacks and one for meals.”

“I like that. Your mom is a smart lady.”