Chapter 30

JACE

Chaos. Absolute and pure chaos is the only way to describe what happened at Ember and Miles’s rehearsal dinner. Catarina was in total shock over the ring that I bought for her. Then, we got everybody’s excitement on us with the pregnancy announcement. Clemmy though, damn she was ready to outdo us all by her water breaking. Personally, I’ve never seen Mitch move so quickly. I know he used to be a professional athlete, but those years were long behind him. He busted through the reception tables and crowds and lifted Clemmy into his arms and ran her out to the truck.

Brielle and Mitch headed into the hospital while the rest of us focused on getting the barn cleaned up and make sure we packed away the food. Ember and Miles stayed behind so entertain their guests and the younger kids stayed at the big house with Grandpa, but the rest of us made our way to the hospital. I knew that we weren’t going to be IN the room, but I think we all wanted to be in the waiting room for Clemmy to know that we were there to support her.

I’m pretty tired of the hospital, I feel like I’ve spent way too much time here in my life in this hospital. The chairs are uncomfortable, the coffee sucks, and the TV just plays the local news on loop. Catarina fell asleep about an hour again. I know she must be uncomfortable, but she refused to head home. Harlow is asleep too, probably even more uncomfortable, but these women are as stubborn as they come.

“So…..I guess we should get used to this, huh?” Lyle said from the row of chairs across from me.”

“I hate the hospital, but I guess for babies it isn’t that bad of a deal, huh? This has to have you freaking out though.”

“Yeah, the entire drive here I just kept thinking the next time I make this drive it is going to be MY baby being born. How are you feeling about the dad thing?”

“It’ll probably take some time to adjust to. Did you feel that way too?”

“It’s kind of hard to feel it and connect with the baby at first. Once you get to hear the heartbeat, that’s pretty awesome. For me though, it was when I could finally feel the baby move. Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night and just lay my hand on her belly and feel for kicks.”

“I can’t wait for that.”

“No regrets or second guesses?”

“None of all. Don’t get me wrong, we weren’t actually planning on having kids this early. In fact,right before we found out she was pregnant, she was going to find an OB and get on birth control so we could go without the rubbers.”

Lyle chuckles, “So how did that work for you?”

“I mean...we don’t need to use the rubbers.”

We both laugh, but when the girls stir a bit, we go back to sitting in silence. Mom and Brooke make their way over to us, bringing coffee. “This has got to be horrible for both of them. Are you sure you want to stay?” Brooke looks at Harlow with concern in her voice.

“I tried, Mom, but she wants to be here for Clemmy. She’s been there since the very beginning and wants to see it through.”

“God she’s an amazing woman. You did good, Lyle.”

“Don’t I know it?”

“So Jace..”

“Yes, Brooke?”

“We didn’t get much chance to ask many more questions. What other information do you have for us?”

“Seriously, Jace. Oh my god, Son, I have so many questions!”