Chapter 3

CATARINA

“Can you please go grab a jacket or a cardigan, Catarina? You need to make sure everything is covered.” I barely made it down to the bottom step before my sister, Tabatha, was already making some sort of comment towards me. I had spent the entire day yesterday going through my closet with Margot, trying to find the perfect thing to wear today, but of course Tabby had something to say about my choices.

“Margot and Mom already approved the dress, Tabby. I’ll wear a jacket outside because it is a bit chilly.”

“We’re going to be inside though. It really it smarter if we do, we don’t want any cameras picking up on anything.” She gave me a look of fake sympathy, but I knew she didn’t actually feel bad for me. Tabby took her “job” as state senator’s daughter very seriously. I suspected that when her husband Randall was set to retire from playing baseball, he would be dipping his toe into this world as well. That seemed like a very Randall thing.

I ignored Tabby, I knew this dress has been approved and I took all necessary precautions to keep everything under wraps. Even though Tabby no longer lived at home, and neither did my older brother Warren, we would all meet here today and take a limousine to my dad’s appearance for a factory opening. It may not seem like a huge event for us to attend, but this factory was bringing a thousand new jobs to the area and the tax cuts that my dad’s committee headed was the reason for the factory moving here.

“I need everybody in the living room now for a check!” Margot’s voice came through the speakers throughout the house. Before we left, she had to go through and double-check everybody. If we ever left to represent the senator, we had to pass a more thorough check than what it takes to get a used car. Asher ran down the stairs with his suit jacket hanging off his hand. I couldn’t help but notice the sound of the breath mints that were no doubt in his pocket. My brother was a die-hard weed smoker and he was always popping breath mints to hide the smell.

“What’s up, Kitty?” The nickname that never went away. When Asher was a baby he couldn’t say, Catarina, so he started calling me Kitty. It didn’t take long before it caught on through the family. I hated it, but I’d take Kitty over the nickname that they use when they’re being assholes, a much more inappropriate slang term for kitty.

“Your eyes are looking a bit red, Ash.”

“Bullshit, I just checked the mirror. Maybe you need to take a hit, Kitty, calm yourself down a bit.”

I huffed at his comment and brushed past him, “I’m just fine, thank you.’

“Whatever you say.”

He slipped on his jacket as we stood in line waiting for Margot. Warren strolled on in with his navy blue suit and enough gel and hairspray that his hair could withstand a hurrican. Tabby stood with her husband Randall, they were attached at the hip as normal. Margot walked into the room and went right to Tabby. She used the lint roller to brush a bit off Randall’s suit and she adjusted Tabby’s necklace, but other than that, she passed.

Warren was looking crisp and clean as well like he just step out of GQ magazine. Margot adjusted his tie just slightly and used the lint roller on his shoulders. She then stepped in front of me and smiled. Margot was nice in comparison to some of the other assistants my dad has had over the years. She was strict with us, but that was her job, keep everybody in line, make the senator look good. She ran her fingers through my hair to fix some of the flyaways. I saw her glance down my body and then gave me a nod.

I looked at Asher, knowing she sure what she was going to say to him. She gave him one glance and then sighed, pulling the eye drops out of her pocket. “I swear, Asher, just quit it when we’re going to be in public.”