Chapter 13

JACE

I feel like I’m floating on a cloud the moment that Catarina and I leave the courtroom. I pick her up in my arms and twirl her around. She lets out a little squeaky sound before I set her back on her feet and bring her in for a deep, long kiss. 

“I love you, Wife,” I say and then bring her in for a kiss again. She giggles against my lips and presses her hands against my chest ot push me back slightly.

“I love you too, Husband.” Her hands cup around my jaw, “I’m so happy. I feel like a million bucks right now.”

“Me too, baby, me too.”

A coughing noise behind us reminds us that we aren’t alone. We both turn around, but it is just Nola leaning against the wall. “Are the two of you just going to make out for the rest of the afternoon?”

“Are you seriously asking if I’m going to spend the rest of the day kissing my beautiful wife?” I kiss Catarina again and Nola laughs and comes over to wrap us both in her arms. 

“You two are the cutest. Can we get out of here though? I’m feeling like I’m getting way too comfortable being surrounded by all this law.”

Catarina laughs and loops her arm with her friend and they walk out in front of me. Maybe a little part of me is a bit jealous that she’s walking with Nola right now and not me, but mostly I just love seeing her, and Nola, so happy and I know the reason for that happiness is me. I would have never believed that three days is all it took to fall in love, but I’m head over heels for her and it feels good.

I help both of the gals into my truck and pull out, heading back to the ranch. A couple of minutes into the drive, Catarina reaches her hand over the center console and links her fingers through my hand. I glance over and give her a quick smile. She looks like a damn angel sitting there and I can’t believe she’s mine. All mine.

“Hey, Jace?” 

I glance over at her again and give her hand a small squeeze. “Yes, Cat?”

“What are we going to do? I’m supposed to leave tomorrow and if I don’t the girls are going to know something is up. Shit, they’d probably call my dad before the plane even left the airstrip.”

“I don’t think it is going to be that bad, Catty-Cake.” Nola chimes in from the backseat.

Catarina spins around to face her. “Oh come on, you know this is exactly what Laurie or Emma would love to gossip about.” Cat turns around to me. “I’m not saying that I don’t want to tell people, but I’m not sure if I can stay here with you. Plus, everybody is expecting me back tomorrow.”

“Okay. So if you go back home, how long as we talking before you come back?”

She sighs, “I don’t know. I already have a calendar full of appearances that I’m supposed to make with my family next week.”

“Can’t you just...not?”

“Not go?”

“Yeah.”

“I...I don’t know.”

She looks out towards the window and goes quiet. She’s still holding my hand, but I can feel that she’s conflicted right now. Not that I don’t understand, I’ve been thinking for the entire afternoon how I’m going to tell my parents and where we’re going to go from here. I don’t care what we do, I just want to do it together. The last half of the drive is rather quiet, just a few comments back and forth between the three of us. I feel like we’re at an impasse just hours after getting married and I don’t know what to do.