Chapter 23

JACE

“Oh my God, I can’t eat another bite.” Cat slumps down onto the couch next to me and lets out a long groan. “I’m so glad that I wore leggings instead of jeans or a nice dress.”

“I told you that you needed to pace yourself.” I swing my arm around her shoulders and tuck her into the side of my body.

“I know, but everything was so good. Those cheesy potatoes and then there were also mashed potatoes and don’t forget about the homemade creamed corn and the rolls...ugh.”

“You forgot the best part.”

“The turkey? Oh my goodness that smoked turkey was amazing. Your grandpa is a master smoker.”

“Nah, not the turkey, but fuck yeah Pa is the best. I’m talking about what we HAVEN’T had yet.”

“Oh, pie. Pie, my sweet, sweet pie.”

I chuckle at her combination of disgust and desire in regards to the pie. “We never dig right into dessert, don’t worry. Everybody is going to shoot the shit a little and then we’ll dig in.”

“I like the sound of that. This is so great, Jace.” She reaches up with her hand and intertwines her fingers with mine. “I’ve never had such a good time and such a casual Thanksgiving. We Usually have some stuffy meal and we have to dress up and it is catered in because my mom doesn’t know how to cook at all.”

“Well welcome to your new reality, love. This is what every holiday is like. Hell, this is what every Sunday is like if you stick around long enough.”

“Stick around long enough? I’m not going anywhere, handsome.”

“That’s music to my ears.” I reach over and tilt her chin up to mine and bring her in for a kiss. “I love you, Cat. I bet everybody knows what I’m thankful for this year.”

“You’re so cheesy, but I’m thankful for you too.”

“Catarina!” Ember calls from the other side of the room and waves Cat over. She slowly gets up off the couch and I take advantage of her slowed movements and give her ass a little squeeze. She quickly looked back at me with a glare and I hold up my hands in innocence. “Stop playing handsy over there and come upstairs, Harlow is going to show us the baby’s room!”

“Go with your friends, I’ll be here when you get back.”

“You better, because you’re in trouble now.”

“I like the sound of that.”

She gives me one more cute smile and a little wave as she follows the gals down the hallway that leads to the stairs that go up to Lyle and Harlow’s place. I watch her until she’s out of sight and then sit back on the couch again and relax. A few moments later, Clemmy makes her way into the room with a bottle of water and she takes a seat in the chair next to me. When she hits the chair, she lets out her own little grunt.

“You okay, Clem?”

“Hey Jace. I’m doing alright. I just ate a lot and I know I’m going to regret it soon.”

“Why is that?”

“This heartburn is out of control. I talked to my doctor about it and she told me that smaller meals throughout the day would help. I’m pretty certain there was nothing small about the meal I just ate,” She finishes with a small laugh.

I laugh with her and nod my head, “Yep, that’s the truth. Do you want me to get you anything like an antacid?”

“Nah, I already took one. I carry my own these days. That’s what all the cool kids in school are doing, ya know?”