Day With The Queen - Baroness Gwendoline

I sat in the parlor patiently waiting for the Queen, inside I was a nervous wreck. I fidgeted with the hem of my forest green gown. Finally the Queen walked in, she radiated importance and respect. I bowed my head before her.

"Greetings my Queen."I said curtsying

"Hello dear,"she replied,"it's nice isn't it? I finally get to spend time with every one of you."

I nodded my head, not quite sure what to say

"So, to get to know you I ask questions about you. Correct?"she questioned

"Oh,um..uh..yes, yes of course."I stammered

She clapped her hands with delight and said,"Right! Let's begin, shall we?"

"Yes, let's begin."

The Queen sat comfortably on the velvet chair with her hands clasped in her lap, and her back straight. She did it so naturally as if it were an everyday thing for. It probably was.

"My dear? Are you alright?"asked the Queen concerned

I looked down, I had spaced out in front of the Queen, my golly how embarrassing.

"Yes I'm fine thank you. Uh..what did you ask me again?"

She laughed merrily

"I asked, what was your life before you came here, to Wattpadia."

"My life? I guess I was royalty. Born in a royal blood family and raised in Branislava. It is a very small country, unimportant to big countries, but it is very, very important to me."

"If you are royalty, why is it you have entered this competition? Surely you'd be Queen?"

I understood her curiosity.

"My father died when I was little, my mother did not give to ticks about him, she cared about his money. When he died she simply moved on and re-married. They bore a child and said she'd take the throne, instead of me. So I when I heard of this competition I joined."

She nodded slowly, as if not quite understanding but she didn't ask.

"So, why do you want to be Queen?"

"I want to be like my great-grandmother, she was the Queen of Branislava for several years. Perhaps you knew her? Lucille Isilee Millicent de Angelo? Anyways she made an impact on everyone's lives. To the people she wasn't Queen, she was a mother, sister and friend to everyone. I want to be like her, make an impact on everyone's lives."

"Ah yes I knew you great-grandmother. A jolly good friend of mine too. 3 more questions, who are the most important people to you?"

I thought about this for a while, biting my lip in deep thought.

"Well, I have no important people, there's my dad, but he's dead, I mean he's important to me but he's not here."

The Queen shook her head, smiling ruefully.

"Your father, he is not dead, for as long as you think of him always. He's spirit will always be with you, in you. He's living in here."she leant forwards and tapped my chest, where my heart was. Her wise words will always be remembered by me.

"What are your opinions on foreign affairs with other kingdoms?"

I was confused I never heard if such a thing

"You mean affairs as in love affairs?"I asked confused

She chuckled before replying,"No, I mean like business affairs."

I nodded my head

"Um, well they are beneficial I guess. I don't know much."

She nodded,"I appreciate your honesty, to learn more, there's a wonderful book on it in the royal library. "Foreign affairs and money." It's got everything."

"Thank you Your Majesty."

"Ooh I do love reading, what about you?"

"I love reading, the Royal Library is my favorite place to be!"I exclaimed happily

"So that's where you run off to each time."her eyes twinkled in amusement,"Alright, last question. What are your feelings to witchcraft?"

"With all due respect my Queen, but witchcraft isn't that bad-"

"Witchcraft is terrible, witches should be burnt if sighted."

"My Queen, witchcraft isn't that bad. Think of these witches, they are humans too. They have feelings and they were conceived and born through the same way we were. Think about it, they were just born with special qualities. When you saw them, did they attack first or did you?"

She thought about this quietly, then softly said,"We-we attacked first."

"You see? You probably frightened them, so their natural instinct was to retaliate. If you'd only give them a chance to explain themselves my Queen."

She nodded unsure at first but as my words sunk in realization struck across her face. She smiled at me,"I believe I have learnt something today, thank you for letting me see. Time is up but I bid you farewell, I hope to see you again sometime?"

I nodded, relieved she wasn't cross.

"Of course, goodbye you Majesty."

I bobbed a curtesy and waited until her Majesty departed before I did. When she had left to attend to important matters I wandered into the library and asked for the the book, "Foreign affairs and money." Soon I was settled quite comfortably in an armchair and began reading:

"Since the dawn of time, foreign trading had been a popular thing..."