Lady Miriam Herbert of Ashburg

I like simple, comfortable clothes. Most of my dresses have minimal, strategic ornamentation, which will not fall off or catch on things and trip me.

I was not very excited about wearing that big fancy dress my Aunt Hermione insisted on, but the ball sounded like it might be a good place to meet people and make some friends.

My gown was finally on, and all the various accessories that Aunt Hermione said I must have, were in place. So with one last look in the mirror, at the unfamiliar woman who stood in my place, I patted the glass turtle on my nightstand, breathed a prayer, and hurried out the door.

I started to get nervous when I saw how many people were in attendance. I like people, don't get me wrong, but big crowds of them unnerve me. Nevertheless, when I was announced, I went in with my head up, even if I didn't look anyone in the eyes.

Well, almost no one. There was a tall, blonde gentleman I was introduced to, Lord Sora. He was alright. Except after dinner, he brought me a plate on which the only fruit was strawberries. I'm allergic to strawberries. He didn't seem too displeased, though. He went and brought me some kind of cheese instead. I wasn't very hungry, but I did nibble some of it. He was nice enough to bring it to me; I didn't want to hurt his feelings.

He asked me to dance after that, and I ended up dancing quite a few dances with him. And I didn't even step on his feet, or trip on my own, or stumble, or anything! He was a very good dancer, so I just let him lead, and everything was fine.

I wonder when the next ball is. I think I like them.