Chapter 3

Alex's POV - Monday, August 17, 2020, 7:18 am

I was at the campus Starbucks that morning, waiting in line to get some coffee. When I got up to the front, I saw a young man standing at the register. I recognized him faintly as one of the three rambunctious boys that had been horsing around the other day while I was trying to take notes. He was tall, with brown skin and curly brown hair tied back in a ponytail. He smiled at me.

"Hi, and welcome to Starbucks," he said in a French accent. "My name is Marie-Joseph. How can I help you today?"

I decided to play a little game with the man, and responded, "Je voudrais un café noir ordinaire avec une dose supplémentaire d'espresso, s'il vous plaît."

A/N: "I would like a plain black coffee with an extra shot of espresso, please."

He looked taken aback for a moment, then grinned hugely. "Tu connais le français!"

A/N: "You know French!"

"En effet je fais," I replied, smiling. "Aussi, puis-je avior un bagel avec ça? Nature, avec du fromage à la crème."

A/N: "Indeed I do," "Also, can I get a bagel with that? Plain, with cream cheese."

He laughed. "Un café noir avec une dose suplémentaire d'espresso et un bagel nature avec du fromage à la crème à venir, mon ami." He turned and shouted to the man behind him, "One black coffee extra shot and a plain bagel with cream cheese for-" He stopped, then turned back to me. "Quel était ton nom?"

A/N: "One black coffee with an extra shot of espresso and a plain bagel with cream cheese coming right up, my friend." "What was your name?"

"Alexandre," I replied. "For Alexander!" Marie-Joseph shouted. "Hé, Alexandre, tu devrais venir traîner avec moi et mes amis un jour!"

A/N: "Alexander," "Hey, Alexander, you should come hang out with me and my friends sometime!"

"Ces deux garçons avec qui tu traînais la semaine dernière?"

A/N: "Those two boys you were hanging out with last week?"

He grinned. "Ouais, eux. Oh, et au fait, appelle-moi Lafayette."

A/N: "Yeah, them. Oh, and by the way, call me Lafayette."

After we put our numbers into each other's phones, I stepped out of line to wait for my coffee. After picking up my order I left the shop. As I stepped out the door, I heard Lafayette shout, "A plus tard, Alexandre!"

A/N: "See you later, Alexander!"

I smiled, then checked my watch. It read 7:53 am. Shit. I ran to class, hoping I would make it in time. I walked through the door at 7:59. Oh thank fuck, I'm not late, I thought, sitting down next to a dark-skinned woman wearing a white crop top and a pink skirt. She turned toward me and smiled. "My name's Angelica. What's yours?"

I grinned. "Angelica, sister of Eliza and Peggy?"

Her mouth fell open. "How did you know?"

"I've met both of them," I said. "My name's Alexander."

She smiled. "So, you're the famous Alexander Hamilton I've been hearing about."

"Hearing about?"

"Yeah, both of my sisters have mentioned you. Eliza in particular-"

"All right everyone, quiet down," came a voice from the front of the room. I turned my attention to the professor, Dr. Haverford, and took extensive notes as he spoke about the importance of reading each and every word in legal documents.