Chapter 13

John's POV - Saturday, October 17, 2020, 12:17 pm

Alex and I were on a "date". Max was at work, so we were in my dorm, cuddling on the couch and watching musicals. We were in the middle of Six when I looked over at him. Alex was staring down at his lap. He'd been acting odd ever since our trip to Spirit. I had no idea what was going on, and I was beginning to get worried.

"Hey, Alex?"

His head shot up and he looked at me, but his eyes didn't quite meet mine. I squeezed his hand.

"Alex, what's wrong?"

He laughed nervously. "N-nothing's wrong. Why would anything be wrong? I'm fine. We're fine. Everything is fine."

"Alex, you're a terrible liar."

He sighed, then grabbed the remote and paused the TV. He disentangled himself from my arms and shifted to face me.

"John, I... I did something I shouldn't have."

Now I was scared. "Alex, what did you do?"

He looked up at me, tears in his eyes. "I... I know what happened."

"What are you talking about?"

I watched as a single tear made its way down his cheek. Then, he said the words I had never wanted to hear.

"I know about your parents."

I tried to keep my emotions in check. "How?"

I obviously didn't do a very good job, because he recoiled as if he had been stung. "Um... G-Google?"

"You Googled it?"

"I... I thought I had h-heard your father's n-name before, so I-"

"How did you find out his name?"

I heard you tell it to the assistant at S-Spirit."

"So you just decided it was okay to look it up?"

"I was j-just curious-"

"NO!" I shouted, finally losing my temper. "I don't give a fuck what your reason was. If I didn't mention it, I obviously didn't want you to know! You had no goddamn right!"

Tears were streaming down his cheeks, and I instantly regretted my actions.

"Alex, I-"

"No," he said. "I need to g-go."

He stood up and ran out of the room, slamming the door behind him. And, for the first time in a long time, I let the tears flow freely.

~~~~~~~~~~

Alex's POV - Saturday, October 17, 2020, 12:28 pm

I sped down the hallway, blinded by tears. I ran out of Anchorage Hall and paid no heed to where I was going. When I slowed down enough to take in my surroundings, I found myself - unsurprisingly - at the fountain. I looked around and spotted Eliza sitting on a bench. She looked up as I approached, her expression changing from welcoming to worried as soon as she saw my face. I sat down next to her, and she grabbed my hand.

"Alex, what's wrong?"

"I... I fucked up."

She frowned. "What do you mean?"

"I did something I shouldn't have, and now John is pissed at me."

"Surely it can't be that bad, sweetheart."