Chapter 19 ⚠️

A/N: I feel like no one reads these, but... questions?

⚠️ TW: terminal illness, death ⚠️

Alex's POV - Saturday, January 23, 2021, 1:07 pm

Philip giggled as Peggy tickled him and made funny little noises, Maria sitting nearby. The two were playing with Philip as John and I looked on, and the others laughed and chatted. Suddenly, there was a knock on the door. I got up and opened it, unsure of who was there. I smiled when I saw Harry and Martha standing there, smiling and carrying wrapped gifts. I stood aside and let them in, and Martha immediately shoved her parcel into Harry's arms and raced over to John, jumping onto his lap as I took the gifts from Harry and placed them on the floor next to the pile of gifts from our friends.

"Jacky!" she shouted, not noticing when John winced at the nickname.

"Hey, Martha. How're you?"

"I'm good! What about you?"

"I'm good."

"Can we meet Philip now?"

John gestured toward where baby Philip sat on the ground, and Martha immediately jumped up and ran over, looking like a younger version of Peggy and Maria as she sat next to them, her curly brown hair, dark eyes, and tan, freckleless face mimicking theirs. John stood up and walked over to Harry, giving him a hug.

"Hey, Harry. How've you been?"

"All right. You?"

"All right." John laughed. "How's school?"

"It's going pretty well."

I left John to catch up with his brother and sat down next to Martha and Peggy, picking Philip up and kissing his nose. He smiled and laughed, clapping his hands. "Pa!"

"John!" I shouted. John rushed over. "He called me Pa."

John grinned. "He did?"

"Pa," Philip said again, answering John's question.

John smiled at his son, and Martha frowned. "Are you sure 'Pa' is a real word?"

"Yes," John and I said simultaneously. We laughed, then John stood up and clapped his hands together, getting everyone's attention.

"Why don't we open presents now?"

Our friends nodded their agreement, and I carried Philip over to the pile, everyone gathering around. I picked up a parcel and put it in front of the little boy, then said, "This one's from... Sam and Charlie."

Philip giggled and slammed his palm on the box. After all, he was only a year old. Our friends laughed, and I ripped open the paper. Inside was a box with a picture of a mobile with little animals on it. I smiled at Sam and Charlie as Philip stared at the box uncomprehendingly.

"Thanks, you guys."

I picked up a second package and handed it to John, who read the tag. "Herc and Laf." He opened the package to reveal a box full of handmade clothes for Philip. John picked up a little onesie and showed it to Philip, who reached out for it. John handed it to him, and the little boy laughed, shaking the onesie with vigor. John laughed, then carefully traded the onesie for a teething ring, which Philip began to gnaw on.