Chapter 17

A/N: I needs some questions.

John's POV - Friday, December 25, 2020, 2:03 pm

I knocked on Sam and Thomas's door, holding Alex's hand, fully aware that we were a few minutes late. Alex held little Philip on his hip; he would be meeting our friends for the first time. The door was opened by a very disgruntled-looking Thomas.

"You're late."

"I know," I replied. He laughed sarcastically as the three of us walked back toward the circle in the center of the room. I sat down next to Maria, with Alex on my other side. The girls and a couple of the guys fawned over Philip, who seemed to enjoy all of the attention. I smiled at my son.

Sam clapped his hands, and Philip mimicked him, putting his chubby hands together, which made everyone laugh. "All right! We're going to go in order from oldest to youngest again. So, Peggy, would you like to give your gift?"

Peggy smiled and handed Charlie a wrapped parcel, which he eagerly unwrapped to find a copy of Lin-Manuel Miranda by Ron Chernow. The exchange continued in much the same fashion until all fourteen of us were holding new gifts. As I listened to Liza talk about her new roommate, a kind young woman named Hope, I examined the new set of paintbrushes I had received from Charles, excited to try them out. Suddenly, Alex grabbed my hand.

"I have something for you when you're ready to go."

I smiled, then stood up, pulling Alex up with me, who was still holding Philip. "Hey guys, I think Lexi, Phil, and I are going to head out."

Peggy stifled a laugh. "Lexi?"

I shrugged. "He's my boyfriend. I'll call him whatever I want."

"... That's fair. Bye, John and Philip! Bye, Lexi!"

We left the dorm, walking hand in hand out of the building. Alex and I were renting a two-bedroom apartment nearby, so we could raise Phil and still go to school. The kindly old woman next door, Mrs. Ackerman, absolutely adored Philip, and had volunteered to watch him while we were at school, which we were grateful for.

I unlocked the door and let us in, and Alex set Philip down on the couch, then told me to sit down and close my eyes. I did as he asked, waiting for him to return. When he did, he placed something in my hands and said, "Open your eyes."

I looked down and saw a beautiful dark wood picture frame. Inside was the selfie that he and I had taken on his first day back on campus after his run-in with Reynolds. He smiled at me sheepishly.

"You can pick a different picture if you want, I just wasn't sure-"

"Alex, it's perfect! I love it!"

"R-really?"

"Yeah." I leaned forward and pecked him on the lips, which made Philip laugh. Alex blushed, and I said, "All right, now it's your turn to close your eyes."

I pulled a small green satin box out of my pocket, then said, "Open up."

His eyes flew open and he gasped. I opened the box to reveal a simple silver band. He looked at me as if asking for permission. I nodded, and he picked up the band, examining the two inscriptions; one on the outside that read J&A and another on the inside that read Always and Forever. He smiled at me, tears in his eyes.