02

Gabriel's POV:

It's hard to enjoy the thrill of winning when your gut is telling you that you're not safe. Ever since I stepped on the field, I felt uneasy. No one could tell, since my performance was really good, but I felt so on edge the whole time.

After we won, we all went out to our local favorite restaurant for sodas and fries while we talked about how good the next game was going to be. It's scheduled for next weekend, and I'm so thrilled to be part of this journey to potentially win state.

However, I can't shake the feeling that something is wrong. Chills keep running down my spine and making me look over my shoulder. I catch the eye of a man who looks to be in his early thirties staring right at me.

His eyes are making me feel unsettled... they're almost glowing.

I whip back around and try to focus on my team's conversation, but every time I glance back at the man, he's still staring at me.

"Gabe, are you alright?" Jax, one of the seniors who's basically mentored me in the sport, asks, concern all over his face. "You're shaky."

I force a smile, looking over my shoulder once more at the man before I face my teammate. "Yeah, just the adrenaline rush," I lie, and I'm honestly kind of surprised by how smooth it comes out. "I'm kind of tired though, so I think I'm going to head home."

Jax raises an eyebrow. "Are you sure, Gabe? Do you want me to drive you back?"

"I'm fine."

Jax ruffles my hair. "You're like a little brother to me, Gabe. Let me know if you need anything, man."

I thank him and grab my keys, walking out to my Jeep. As I leave, I notice the man who was staring at me is gone... I almost want to pretend I imagined him for my sanity, but I can't lie to myself.

Whatever, it doesn't matter.

He was some creepy guy staring at a teenager.

Who cares?

I'll probably never see him again.

I get in my Jeep and drive home, opening the door and finding my parents lounging on the couch watching Titanic. They both know I hate this movie, since it always makes me tear up and they tease me for it.

"You did great tonight, kid!" dad cheers, standing up and embracing me in a tight hug despite me being sweaty and gross. "I'm so proud of you!"

I grin and thank him. "It felt really good. We're in the finals and it's only a week away, so coach scheduled an early practice," I explain, looking at the clock. "Before school practices should be illegal."

Dad scoffs. "If you want to be the best, you have to train like it," he says as he walks back over to mom and sits beside her. "Are you going to bed then?"

"I should," I say, yawning. "Goodnight."

"Love you, sweetheart," mom says, blowing me a kiss. "Have sweet dreams."

I smile. "Love you, too," I say, walking away and heading up the stairs.

It's cold in the hallway, which is weird because mom hates the cold and always turns up the heat. I shiver and open the door to my room, and before my mind can even process it, I'm screaming in fear.

Super manly, right?

Well, I don't care, because the creepy guy from the restaurant is on my bed!

"Hello," he says, standing up.

If he wants to murder me, might as well get on with it, because this guy is literally a foot taller than me and super buff.

"I like your shirt," I say, my voice cracking.