𝟐𝟕

𝐌𝐚𝐲 𝟐𝟏𝐬𝐭

"So d'you think Rebecca changed you?"

King rubbed his beard. He glanced at the camera, then looked back at the interviewer. "Nah, I don't think Becca changed me. I think I changed for her."

The reporter didn't expect such a reply from him. "Really? I spoke to a few of your friends that knew you before you knew her and, from their side of the story, you turned around completely when she came into your life. What makes you think you changed for her, instead of her changing you?"

"No one can change a person. That's where a lot of females go wrong when it comes to relationships. They think they can be that one girl to 'change' you cah they're special and whatnot, but the change that takes place has nothing to do with the female."

"How so?"

"If a man's willing to change for you cah he can see that you're special, he'll change. You can do everything to try change a person, but if they don't wanna change, you're wasting your time. You can't force them, you see what I'm sayin? I definitely changed for Rebecca. And I made the right decision in doing that."

"Evidently, I mean, you guys are a power couple to, pretty much, like all of us," the journalist agreed. "I have one more question for you, King. How do you respond to people who criticise you for glamourising the gang lifestyle?"

He chuckled, not necessarily frowning, but not smiling either. "I've never glamourised the gang lifestyle; it shouldn't be glamourised. Moretime, if you look at my lyrics, it's about how traumatic gang life is; I don't glamourise it. I've never gone up to the mic and said 'that guy got stabbed and it was the best thing ever and everyone needs to do it'."

"I see where you're coming from, but people could argue that the very action of rapping about it is glamourising it. Do you agree?"

"Nah, I rap about it cah it's what I experienced, it's what I know. I think people try shut it down cah it makes them uncomfortable. It's not an easy topic to talk about, I ain't denying that. If somebody stepped out their front door to rainbows and they made a rap about it, nobody would have a problem, cah it's rainbows. Everyone likes rainbows, innit? D'you like rainbows?"

"I'm quite fond of rainbows, yes," the broadcaster chortled.

"Yeah, exactly. But that weren't my reality. When I stepped out, I saw ride outs and drive-bys and guns and knives and death. But rapping about that is a problem. The topic makes people uncomfortable so they don't wanna hear it, but ignoring it won't fix the problem. Kids are dying. It's not sutten we should just brush under the rug cah it's not nice to talk about. We need to have these conversations and find a solution to the problem, you see what I'm sayin? I don't glamourise it, though. Never dat."

A rapper won't be well spoken. That's what the reporter had in mind when she sat opposite King and got her questions ready. He's a lot more refined than she thought he would be. Humbler, too. "Words of wisdom there, King. Thank you."

"My pleasure."

𝐏𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐝𝐚𝐲
𝟎𝟏:𝟒𝟑𝐚𝐦

BBC News