Four

My eyes fluttered open as the sun shone bright against my face, spreading its warmth across my features and awakening me from my peaceful escape from reality. I heard the soft sounds of someone breathing near my ear and feel his chest rise and fall against my back. Delmare's arms were wrapped around me in a protective and comfortable hold. I felt my body relax further as he pulled me closer to him in his sleep, my body wishing it could go back to its peaceful state of rest while I leaned into Delmare's embrace. Part of me knew I couldn't stay in this bed, wrapped in his embrace forever. I knew I had a job to do and I couldn't just not show up, especially on my first day.

"Delmare," I whispered, unsure of what I should say or whether I should wake him.

He mumbled in his sleep for me to go back to sleep and he nestled his face into my neck, closing the distance between us as if we weren't inches from each other already.

"Delmare, please. I have to get up. I have work to do," I pleaded halfheartedly, finding myself nestling deeper against him. I felt something hard press up against my butt, causing a blush to spread across my face and neck. God, what was I getting myself into? Why was I acting like this?

"Just five more minutes," he groaned sleepily as I tried unsuccessfully to peel his arms off me so I could escape his comfortable embrace.

"Seriously, I can't stay here all day," I huffed, slightly annoyed when he tightened his hold on me, the embrace no longer as comfortable as it had been.

He mumbled unhappily as I unraveled myself from his arms and crawled out of bed, my feet hitting the cold hardwood floor. As quickly as I could, I got dressed, hoping he wasn't watching me as I pulled my shirt over my head. Once I was dressed, I grabbed my purse and keys, glancing at the time on my phone. I felt the panic rise in me as I saw the time. I grabbed a banana off the counter and scarfed it down. I was just about to walk out the door when I saw Delmare come around the corner, rubbing his eyes as he tried to wake himself up.

"What time is it?" he asked.

"It's early. Go back to bed," I replied, opening the front door. "I'll be home around four."

With that said, I exited my home, leaving behind a man who wasn't human to fend for himself. A merman whose arms I had just spent the night embraced in. I knew we had had a rocky start and I just met him, but I couldn't help but be drawn to him. I hoped he stayed put and didn't cause any trouble. I must be insane to think it was a good idea to leave a stranger in my home or spend the night in bed with him.

During the drive to the Institute, I was a nervous wreck. I knew I had nothing to be nervous about, but the feeling never ceased. I would just be filing paperwork and overlooking charts today. Nothing insanely strenuous. So why did I feel like something bad was about to happen?

As I parked in the employee parking, I could still feel the nervousness churn in the pit of my stomach. Taking a deep breath, I exited my truck, locking the doors securely behind me. Swinging my purse over my shoulder, I made my way inside, the humidity not yet clinging to my skin this early in the morning. As I entered, I felt my nervousness wash away as I watched the fish swimming in the surrounding tanks, the water swishing slightly on the other side of the frosted glass. Smiling to myself, I made my way over to the front desk, hoping I could find my way to the HR department so I could start my shift.

"Hi, my name's Anna Lisle. Today is my first day working with this company and I was wondering if you can let your human resources manager know I'm here," I said in the most professional manner I could muster.